Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Process is slowing down

Hi. I'm a 33 yr old male when I started my weight loss journey in January I was 258 I am now at 189 and I would like to get down to 170 . Things are slowing down now and I'm finding it is getting tougher to loss weight . My intake is 1600 calories I do cardio and weight lifting at least 4 times a week. Should I be increasing my calories? Any help is appreciated .

Replies

• godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    It isn't unusual for your loss to slow as you lose weight. You have to be patient.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    That is completely normal and to be expected. It is extremely rare to keep a steady pace going from obese to a healthy weight and then down further into your healthy weight zone. As you get leaner, it is better to reduce your deficit in order to continue losing mostly fat instead of muscle. If anything, a slowdown in movement on the scale is a sign of progress.

If you haven't already, consider taking a 1-2 week maintenance break. It can recharge you mentally so it's easier to continue with your weight loss effort.

Good job on your loss so far!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    You're killing it, wtg.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    I think you should eat more on your exercise days to be honest. I eat between 1700-1900kcal everyday dependent on how much I move & exercise and I'm down to lose 0.75kg a week. Seeing as you only have 19lbs to lose, reduce your goal to 1lb a week and try not to be inpatient.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks. I would say that I'm not inpatient . Just curious why I haven't lost this week after such a good week. Although I was stuck at 197 for a couple weeks.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Yes, as you lose weight it becomes harder and harder to create a deficit that allows you to continue losing at the same rate. Do not increase your calories unless you want to lose weight even slower. The only time you'd want to increase your calories for weight loss is if you want to slow down the rate at which you lose, which a lot of people find to be more sustainable.
    Play around with the MFP calculator to figure out how many calories you need to lose a certain amount per week. As long as you still have a deficit, you'll lose weight. If you're still having trouble, make sure you're logging accurately, using a food scale, etc.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    for me, when i eat less, i don't lose as much but when i eat enough to fuel my body, then i lose at the rate i want.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I would also recommend a maintenance break for 2 weeks, it's a good psychological boost

Also refocus on your calorie counting because that slips with familiarity

I do personally believe it's best to slow down rate of loss as you get within 20lbs of goal, or more because it helps the transition to maintenance