How do you not binge?

Options
I won't get too detaily but it appears I binge after hitting a weight loss goal.. Its not a reward thing either.. I just noticed the pattern today. It feels bad.

Any how.. I'm looking for tips on how to not binge.. Either tips for in the moment or tips on changing my thinking patterns ect.. ANYTHING. I feel real depressed about this but its not enough to stop me. =(

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I avoid bingeing by not denying myself treats. Instead, I monitor my calories throughout the day and allow myself a small serving of ice cream or something similar every day. Totally worth working out to "pay" for those calories so I can eat them.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I avoid bingeing by not denying myself treats. Instead, I monitor my calories throughout the day and allow myself a small serving of ice cream or something similar every day. Totally worth working out to "pay" for those calories so I can eat them.

THIS! +1
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've tried sitting with those feelings and trying to figure out why I feel the urge to eat. Keeping a diary is helpful, just write, and maybe looking back at several entries, you'll find a common thread.

You could also try to make a list of things to do when the urge comes, like going out for a walk, drinking a glass of water or making a pact with yourself that if in 20mins you still want to eat that thing, you will, but not before the 20 mins have passed.

Keeping a plan could also be helpful. So, if you are set to have a snack at 3pm, but it's 2 and you want to eat a brownie, you tell yourself that you'll have to wait because it's not snack time yet. This kind of thing makes me feel in control, and I don't fall prey to emotional eating.

Good luck!

Edit: I see that you're a mommy to three kids, so obviously some of the things I suggested might not be viable if you're running 24/7. I think sticking to a plan would work best.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think if you're aware that you have this tendency to binge, then you can recognise that you're about to, and stop yourself. If you really want to treat yourself, go for a run and earn it first.
  • AmerH
    AmerH Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had the same tendency. I've dealt with it by changing my thinking about eating and exercise. I have recognized that I can't eat fairly healthy just for the period of time it takes me to reach my goal weight. My former attitude after a weight goal success was kind of like "Okay. I've reached that goal. Now I can relax for a bit and not make the effort of counting all my calories." The problem is, if I don't think about what I put in my mouth, it's way too easy to let the weight creep up on me. In my younger years I would naturally slow down my eating when I saw the scale creep up a little too much. I am implementing that habit back into my life and don't freak out if I gain a pound or two. The problem with binging is it can turn into a daily thing, at least for me. So I keep myself busy doing good things and necessary things, anything from COMPLETELY cleaning out my walk-in closet for the first time in seven years to reading to my three-year-old and spending extra time with my kids; I've even picked up gardening again. It's important to find ways to unwind that have nothing to do with food. And lastly, if you're gonna binge, try to do it with lower-cal goodies such as Pop Chips or a trail mix, which I indulged in myself tonight. Oh, chewing bubble-flavored gum is a help for me when I get the urge to munch inappropreately. The chewing and blowing bubbles is a darn good substitute for munching, even though it may drive my family nuts!

Hang in there and try different ideas. Good luck!! We all need it! :bigsmile:
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I discovered this morning the shock of my life!

Ive always maintained I would have one day off a week to allow myself an off day so I can rest from exercise and not monitor everything I eat, it means I can have a chinese take away with my boyfriend or go out and get drunk,

Anyway yesterday I thought out of interest Id have a look at what I do eat on my day off and my word I binge! I havent even put everything in my diary as I am too ashamed, if every day were like a Saturday I would gain 4lbs in 5 weeks!

SO I can definately vouch that keeping a food diary helps you see what the pattern is and where you binge, and allow yourself treats every day just make sure you do some exercise to earn them, this morning I went for a run because I'm going to the beach and I want icecream later,

Not keeping the diary for day made me go off the rails like a kid without its parents I guess! NEVER AGAIN!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i think the key is to not deny yourself any treats! i always allow myself treats and make it part of my daily allowance. have done so from the very beginning as it had to be a lifestyle change i was aiming for rather than a diet. I find that i would always sabotage myself on a 'diet' as id deny myself any treats and id be thoroughly miserable and give up.

However this time around, i knew that i could have a biscuit or chocolate without feeling like id cheated and hence have never felt the need to give up. I got away with a square of chocolate rather than a whole bar and in time i learnt to appreciate quality rather than quantity. hang in there, it will get easier. you have to do something that is going to be realistic and achievable. good luck. :)
  • ritarampage
    Options
    I was never a binge eater until I reached my goal weight four years ago. After that, I maintained for about two years and then started this whole binging thing. I put on forty pounds in the last year alone. The only thing that has remotely helped me is therapy. Binge eating is a symptom of another disorder I'm suffering from. I've just started NOT gaining weight in the last few weeks. So, if it doesn't get better with any other lighter suggestions people have made, try therapy. Sometimes it's a much bigger issue than you ever thought it could be.