For the ladies who CRAVE so much before PMS...

Options
kmaf2016
kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
Do any women out there lose all willpower/healthy eating habits the week before their premenstrual like I do?

Literally this week I have craved everything from ready salted crisps, rice, chips etc and have eaten it too....its like I can't control myself for that one week before my period, I've lost 7lb's since starting my MFP journey on the 20th May and am doing so well I even lost 3lb last week when I got weighed but last week, but my goodness, my body just wants all the bad stuff....

I hit the gym everyday too and this week I've only been once! I'm not normally this bad but this week all I've thought about is pizza, burgers, pizzas and burgers!

How do you control these cravings or what do you eat to control them?

Replies

• tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I get the cravings BAD. You could try upping your calories that week to maintenence so you have more wiggle room to include the food. That way you don't gain that week. Or you could just make sure to have it in moderation and make sure you weigh and log everything. You'll just end up eating less to make room for the foods. The week before my period I really just try to have a few cheats and make sure I have no foods I'm craving in my house so I don't binge. But if I don't give in a little I get seriously grumpy, to the point of I wanna cry and I don't feel better until I have something. I like to go get froyo and just try to be somewhat mindful of how much I'm getting but that way once it's gone it's gone and even though I want more I can't get more and then a little after I feel insanely better. Once my period starts the cravings and hunger generally go away and I go back to normal lol.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I ate McDonald's yesterday for the first time in about 4 years. Totally gave in. Felt nauseous after but I won't eat it again for about 10 years now.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I ate a bag of cool ranch Doritos yesterday. That was a bad one. So, I feel ya. Log it, and move on. I don't give in to the cravings every month, and I usually allow myself to eat at maintenance for that week.
  • kmaf2016
    kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't give in every month either like you but this month has been bad, I've been pretty bad all week so after today I will draw a line and start fresh tomorrow...Its not like me either to not go to the gym as I love my gym classes but only been once this week and I've just been out to lunch with my work colleagues and ate burger and chips and had a glass of wine...now I'm sat here at my desk trying my best not to fall asleep and I feel HUGE and awful...
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Do any women out there lose all willpower/healthy eating habits the week before their premenstrual like I do?

Literally this week I have craved everything from ready salted crisps, rice, chips etc and have eaten it too....its like I can't control myself for that one week before my period, I've lost 7lb's since starting my MFP journey on the 20th May and am doing so well I even lost 3lb last week when I got weighed but last week, but my goodness, my body just wants all the bad stuff....

I hit the gym everyday too and this week I've only been once! I'm not normally this bad but this week all I've thought about is pizza, burgers, pizzas and burgers!

How do you control these cravings or what do you eat to control them?

90% dark chocolate is my go - to. Or, I limit myself to 100 calorie packs of certain items. For example, I love popcorn. However, it's easy for me to overeat when I make the air-popped popcorn myself with kernels. So, I buy 100 calorie pack popcorn for these times and just grab a couple bags of them to cook. That way, I can't over eat what I don't make.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm definitely with you on just getting hungry, I don't really crave sugary crap or anything like that, but oh my god are there days that I want to eat anything that isn't nailed down. Even food I don't like, I'm just so hungry!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    daweasel wrote: »
    Yeah I'm definitely with you on just getting hungry, I don't really crave sugary crap or anything like that, but oh my god are there days that I want to eat anything that isn't nailed down. Even food I don't like, I'm just so hungry!

Amen......yep could even eat broccoli (and I detest it)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why I had the munchies so bad for the last 2 days, I eat 1560 calories in general but the last 2 days I ate 2050 and 2130. And then I was like, "oh yeah..." :weary:
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I find if I am consistently eating 1-2 servings of fruit and 8-10 servings of vegetables every day, when shark week comes, I have no cravings. The difference is startling, and in a weird way I miss having the cravings because nothing tastes like chocolate when you're craving it.
  • Zewwy
    Zewwy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never noticed this before I started using mfp to track but oh wow this past week was BRUTAL! I thought I was going crazy, I was always hungry and craving junk. Now this week (actual period started) I feel so much more in control and normal.

I had adjusted my weight loss goal to 0.5 this past week bc I just needed more food and I think that's more appropriate anyway. Not sure what I will do next month!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's not cravings as much as being really hungry, and my hypoglycemia symptoms go nuts (I get the shakes and get dizzy if I don't eat). But it's way worse if I have refined sugars or flour (especially in the morning), so I try hard to avoid it at that time now... Then my willpower pretty much goes away and if I start eating ice cream or cookies I just can't stop... but I typically want burgers/pizza/bagels etc more than sweets then too. Seriously I could eat 4000 calories and still be hungry if I'm not careful. Ridiculous.

I've started drinking tea too (I just looked up PMS tea on Amazon and bought some - not sure if it works, but the last few months have been much better - I end up around maintenance that week instead of 3000 calories over!). I eat a lot of beans too.. it seems to help some. And more fruit.

It sucks because it was never a problem for me until I lost the weight (or yeah, I just ate so much that I didn't notice anyway, but I had no problem while losing).
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i give in. it works for me and i force myself to be active. At that point I have no control haha. Really though If its the week before of the first couple of days and i "NEED" a donut, or chips, or a steak, or pasta I do my best to fit it all in and give into all cravings.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have been eating pretty healthy but then last week I managed to eat 900 calories worth of junk in an HOUR. Started my period the next day. Sigh.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't usually get bad cramps, or cravings I can't handle... but my god.

The downside to strengthening your abs is your frequently strengthen your pelvic floor muscles too. Which means that I just got slammed with cramps so bad I kept doubling over with curses. I climbed inside a bottle of ibuprofen and plan to stay inside for a week.

And the cravings... I don't know why, but for once I'm having trouble not giving it. Protein shakes are helping, as always, and I'm logging everything, but I'm getting the kind of cravings where I'd chew my own arm off if it meant I could get _____ right now. What ends up in the blank varies. The other day my lunch was cake, pretzels, and hummus.

I'm dealing with this in one of two ways. First, I'm logging things and fitting them into my day and my normal deficit. Or, I realize that I'm usually below deficit anyways. Three days of going over by 200 or so (still below maintenence though) is going to balance out in the end anyways.

I've got today planned out with about 32 calories left. I may decide that I both want and need a candy bar for mental health reasons later. It'll put me over and I plan to really think about it first, but from what I hear, shark week makes you burn an extra 300 a day over normal BMR, so maybe it works out anyways?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    #ThePmsStruggle #IsTooReal lol

Try to have some treats on hand, healthy if u can so you're prepared when the craving kicks in...
    I eat too many chips and chocolate during that time
  • Glitterinmyveins33
    Glitterinmyveins33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I *try* not to keep those things in the house around that time especially. Sometimes frozen blueberries help, other times not so much.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my cycles a few months back along with my weight and hunger and just like you I noticed a big spike in my hunger and weight the week before my period. I want to eat everything. I actually let myself eat into my exercise calories that week. Then as soon as I start, it subsides and the weight starts to go back down.
  • chevysmommy41
    chevysmommy41 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Salty craving- baked chips
    Sweet craving- banana dipped in dark chocolate
    Sour craving- lemons
  • chevysmommy41
    chevysmommy41 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also if you crave ice cream try to replace it with frozen yogurt OR freeze some fruit (I freeze watermelon balls) and eat them!!!