Strange Craving!

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
For...a baby!!!

So up until I was about 23, I did NOT have any interest in having kids. In fact, I had pretty much decided against it.

Then about 48 hours after my 23rd birthday....BOOM, that 'clock' started ticking. It began with just an inclination that having a baby wouldn't be tooooo bad...

And now I WANT ONE. I covet other peoples' cute babies! I try to hold my bunnies like babies (they hate it)! I am SO impatient for my boyfriend to move back home so we can get married and make money and have a baby.

Has it hit anyone else this hard? I seriously am the most impatient person in the world and even after I get married and start 'trying' I will have to wait 9 months for it to arrive! No faaaiiiiiiiiiir. :ohwell:

Replies

• Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That damn clock! I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum....I've know I've wanted kids for as long as I can remember. I turned 37 this past May and time is getting short and the clock getting louder! LOL
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Yes, don't worry. Hit me like a ton of bricks about this time last year (i turn 27 on Tuesday) when I realized that around now I would be done school forever and getting married and all that jazz (I got my Master's Degree in May and we're having a civil ceremony sometime between September and October). And...a great deal of my friends either have or are trying to have or are getting ready to have kids and it's driving me bonkers. lol.

I feel ya. Hang in there!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I turned 22 (and have a serious boyfriend) I was baby crazy as well!! Now, I work with kids and since I started this job my clock seems to be on hold now :) Not because the kids I work with are annoying are anything, they are great! I think they just fulfill my need to interact with children. I still want to have babies! But not until after we are married, I graduate college and we get a house! I want them to have a stable childhood :)

But I definitely know how you feel! I was so obsessed with everything to do with babies! I even watched the movie Babies, it's a documentary and so adorable!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your birthday? If you really have changed your mind, it won't fade, but I had a period of time when I was re-thinking my no-kids-no-thanks stance for awhile last year. It took me about 3-4 months altogether to go through it in my head, and at the end of it, I decided I was going to stick with my first position. My reasons for sying no to kids ended up stronger than my reasons to reconsider.

I think the best thing to do would be to wait for awhile, just like a tattoo, once you have done it, you can't un-do it. Having a kid because they are cute is not much of a reason to have a kid, IMHO (I am NOT knocking you or anyone, I just think this poor old crowded planet already has all the cuteness it needs and more)

if it is the right decision, it still will be in 6 months, or a year. If not, you will have given yourself the gift of time to carefully decide.

Good luck, either way you decide....:heart:
  • Appersmere
    Appersmere Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I threw my clock out the window years ago!! lol
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I got hit hard... about a year ago, a few months after i turned 23, and it has yet to go away :( Wanna lose 100 lbs first.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    How long ago was your birthday? If you really have changed your mind, it won't fade, but I had a period of time when I was re-thinking my no-kids-no-thanks stance for awhile last year. It took me about 3-4 months altogether to go through it in my head, and at the end of it, I decided I was going to stick with my first position. My reasons for sying no to kids ended up stronger than my reasons to reconsider.

I think the best thing to do would be to wait for awhile, just like a tattoo, once you have done it, you can't un-do it. Having a kid because they are cute is not much of a reason to have a kid, IMHO (I am NOT knocking you or anyone, I just think this poor old crowded planet already has all the cuteness it needs and more)

if it is the right decision, it still will be in 6 months, or a year. If not, you will have given yourself the gift of time to carefully decide.

Good luck, either way you decide....:heart:

I turned 24 a few months ago LOL...so it has been a long time and it has been increasing steadily!

I think part of it was getting into a relationship with one of my closest friends. It's worse now because I really want to get my life with him started. He will be moving back home to my area in November. :)

My original reasons for not having kids were just that my little brother is insufferable, I like to sleep, and I didn't want to lose my body. But my kid will not be like my little brother because I know how to discipline! :P And I love to work out. The sleep I will just have to get over! :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Please don`t take this the wrong way as I always wanted to be a father and likely will never be so I understand but having a child is not about you if that makes any sense.

Being a parent is the greatest responsibility as well as joy any person can have so make sure you are looking at things in the eyes of the little one who will depend on you. :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yes, don't worry. Hit me like a ton of bricks about this time last year (i turn 27 on Tuesday) when I realized that around now I would be done school forever and getting married and all that jazz (I got my Master's Degree in May and we're having a civil ceremony sometime between September and October). And...a great deal of my friends either have or are trying to have or are getting ready to have kids and it's driving me bonkers. lol.

I feel ya. Hang in there!

Congratulations on all that!! And you are getting CLOSE now haha! :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Please don`t take this the wrong way as I always wanted to be a father and likely will never be so I understand but having a child is not about you if that makes any sense.

Being a parent is the greatest responsibility as well as joy any person can have so make sure you are looking at things in the eyes of the little one who will depend on you. :smile:

Oh I know! That's part of what makes me sort of sad...I know I have a long time to wait before I can support a kiddo. I have 2.5 years left in my PhD and my boyfriend is going back to school after he leaves the AF here in a few months.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I got hit hard... about a year ago, a few months after i turned 23, and it has yet to go away :( Wanna lose 100 lbs first.

Hmmm, what is it about that birthday??
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    That damn clock! I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum....I've know I've wanted kids for as long as I can remember. I turned 37 this past May and time is getting short and the clock getting louder! LOL

Ont of my co-workers just had baby #2 and she's 38, AND getting her PhD! She had the baby on a Friday and came back to work Tuesday!! :noway: You still have a lot of time! :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    When I turned 22 (and have a serious boyfriend) I was baby crazy as well!! Now, I work with kids and since I started this job my clock seems to be on hold now :) Not because the kids I work with are annoying are anything, they are great! I think they just fulfill my need to interact with children. I still want to have babies! But not until after we are married, I graduate college and we get a house! I want them to have a stable childhood :)

But I definitely know how you feel! I was so obsessed with everything to do with babies! I even watched the movie Babies, it's a documentary and so adorable!

*Googling Babies documentary...*
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's those darned hormones! Seriously, it is biological. Laugh at it, volunteer somewhere where you can cuddle babies or work with tots, but don't let these crazy hormones let you make any bad decisions. It is a HUGE responsibility to bring a new life into the world, and you want to be ready for it.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Oh I know! That's part of what makes me sort of sad...I know I have a long time to wait before I can support a kiddo. I have 2.5 years left in my PhD and my boyfriend is going back to school after he leaves the AF here in a few months.

We had our first while I the very minute I got a job in my field! And, while they are completely nuts and break things whenever I turn my back to type, they have made all the difference in my life. I think the late twenties is likely the best time for a woman to start though.
  • Funnybunnyboo
    Options

understand that is the greatest, and most difficult job in the world, its 24/7, and doesnt stop, even when they leave home!
    i have wanted to have a baby since i was about 15...yeah, i know!now am far too old, have wasted my fertile years on a dumbass pos, and not ever likeley to have a baby of my own...is a great sadness, and one i cannot describe.have step grandchildren, they are a joy, to have had one of my own.......
    when you feel you have the responsability part in place, go for it-a child will forever appreciate love, and firmness, teaching them to repect animals, and nature, and their fellow man, so important!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

understand that is the greatest, and most difficult job in the world, its 24/7, and doesnt stop, even when they leave home!
    i have wanted to have a baby since i was about 15...yeah, i know!now am far too old, have wasted my fertile years on a dumbass pos, and not ever likeley to have a baby of my own...is a great sadness, and one i cannot describe.have step grandchildren, they are a joy, to have had one of my own.......
    when you feel you have the responsability part in place, go for it-a child will forever appreciate love, and firmness, teaching them to repect animals, and nature, and their fellow man, so important!!

Wow...well you sound like a wonderful grandma to them :)

I want to create a person who is compassionate, respectful, motivated..all-around a joyful person who makes others feel good. The world has far too few of those people!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

We had our first while I the very minute I got a job in my field! And, while they are completely nuts and break things whenever I turn my back to type, they have made all the difference in my life. I think the late twenties is likely the best time for a woman to start though.

Yep, it's looking like I'll be in my late 20's when this is a possibility. I count 26 as 'late'. :bigsmile:
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    I caught the baby bug at 16 lol. Fortunately I waited for 5 more years.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends just had a baby and the day after she was born I came to visit them in the hospital and BAM maternal instinct kicked in. It was just awe inspiring to watch mother and child interacting with each other. I WANT THAT SO BAD!

Thankfully there is potential for my boyfriend to get back into the work force soon so as soon as that happens we'll be one step closer!

I CANNOT WAIT!