Quick and easy breakfast ideas?

Options
Hey ya'll I was hoping you'd be able to help me out. I've never been a breakfast eater, but I'm really trying to get in the habit of becoming one. I work at a camp M-F from 8am-4pm chasing 2-7 year olds around all day, I need to eat a nice big breakfast so I'll have the needed energy until lunch. If you guys have any easy, healthy, quick breakfast ideas/recipes it would be greatly appreciated! I'm going back to college at the end of August and I'm hoping i'll bring the new habit back with me. Thanks!

Replies

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Oatmeal and an apple!
  • scarletlake
    Options
    I agree to oats and fruits!!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    high cal/car/protein one I eat way too often and is easy:

1c Kashi go lean
    1tbs walnut pieces
    1tbs dried cranberries
    1tbs flax meal
    3/4c plain greek yogurt

and to flavor the yogurt- either .5c raspberries, 1 scoop protein, .5tbs agave and 1tbs slivered almonds, or .5tbs honey and 1/2c pumpkin puree!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My breakfast takes about 5 minutes to prepare.

2 scrambled eggs
    1 banana (or 1 orange sliced)
    1 slice of 12-grain toast
    1 tbsp of creamy peanut butter (or 1 slice of cheese)
    1 cup of coffee
    1 bottle of water

I try to get in 1/3 of my 1,200 calories at breakfast even when I know I won't be exercising. It's my favorite meal of the day and it keeps me energized the rest of the day. Not only does it fill me up, but it keeps me full so I can make smart choices on a sensible lunch. Glad to hear you're wanting to get in a good breakfast! Click on the link below my ticker called My Journey. It explains how I started losing a lot of weight just by adding a big breakfast to my day, even when I didn't have much left to lose. :)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a scoop of protein and a banana
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    My favorite is a toasted whole wheat muffin with almond butter and a few slices of strawberries on the side.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with half tsp of cinnamon sugar and half tsp of pb, or fresh blueberries!
  • fosser
    fosser Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been drinking a shake every morning.
    1 Cup 1%milk
    6 Ice cubes
    1 Bananna
    1 serving Chocolate protine supplement
    1 serving Udo's oil - which is a supplement for your fatty acids intake
    1 serving Satisfiber - a suppliment for your daily fiber intake.

I throw that in a blender and take it with me on the fly if need be!
    Enjoy
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was not much of a breakfast eater before MFP either, and I have to say that I have felt much better since making myself take the time for breakfast. I like to mix it up, eggs one day, cereal the next, always a good citrus juice or vegetable juice. To get your veggies in, throw last night's leftover veggies into your breakfast omelette with a little cheese. You can eat your omelette in a pita or a wrap on the way to work in a hurry. As many readers have mentioned, oatmeal is very filling, especially with added nuts and fruit.
  • emily2mcmillan
    Options
    Thank you guys sooo much! I'll definitely be trying some of your suggestions!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the pumpkin puree, jennw10 - add that to anything (like oatmeal with some pumpkin pie spice mix) and it's so much fiber that it will keep you full a much longer time. I'm a huge fan of steel cut oats and oftentimes cook them in the evening and portion them out into 3-4 days of breakfast for the week. Then you just reheat with some lowfat milk. Super, super tasty, and very filling.
  • innerexp
    innerexp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Take Me On Vacation Oatmeal- the recipe is 2 servings, so you can make it every other day and just re-heat the second portion.
    OATS
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup oat bran
    1/4 tsp sea salt

MILK
    1/4 cup protein powder (I prefer vanilla)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk

TOPPINGS
    1 ripe mango peeled and diced
    1 tsp roasted golden flaxseed
    2 tbsp chopped cashews
    1 tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut

Combine oats, oat bran and sea salt in 2 1/4 c of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat until simmering. Reduce to low and cook until water is absorbed- about 3 minutes.

Whisk protein powder into milk. If saving 1/2 for the next day, put 1/2 of the oatmeal mixture into tupperware and top with 1/2 of the milk mixture.

Use 1/2 toppings for each serving.

Calories- 317
    Protein- 10.5 grams
    Carbs- 53 grams
    Total Fat- 13 grams*
    Saturated Fat- 3 grams
    Sodium- 193 mg
    Cholesterol- 0 mg
    Sugar- 17 g

*The fat content is primarily in the cashews- I often make this without if I'm watching my fat count and instead add 1/2 c of strawberries into the mix!

Enjoy!

~Jenn
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A high fiber, low sugar granola bar and a banana with peanut butter would be good. Also, you could make up a bunch of scrambled eggs over the weekend and then stuff half of a whole wheat pita with some of the eggs. Both are super quick.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I like having egg whites and toast for breakfast. Quick, easy, and tastes good! I sometimes follow that up with a protein shake.