Protein goals

Options
I NEVER reach my protein goal!
To be quite honest (excuse me, I'm a noob to this healthy lifestyle thing) I don't know what foods are high in protein (other than eggs). I don't eat a lot of meat so what are some non-meat options to help me hit my goals ?

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Meat (obviously)
    Eggs
    Beans, lentils, lima beans, green peas, peas, chickpeas, navy beans
    Tofu, tempah, soy
    Milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt
    Quinoa
    Hummus
    Nuts
    Sun-dried tomatoes
    Artichokes
    Broccoli
    Mushrooms
  • chevysmommy41
    chevysmommy41 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Meat (obviously)
    Eggs
    Beans, lentils, lima beans, green peas, peas, chickpeas, navy beans
    Tofu, tempah, soy
    Milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt
    Quinoa
    Hummus
    Sun-dried tomatoes
    Artichokes
    Broccoli
    Mushrooms

Thank you that helps so much!!
  • benlinnenkamp
    benlinnenkamp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    meat is like your best friend when it comes to protein. otherwise I would suggest a protein supplement, and egg whites and milk are also good sources.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    There are several vegans and vegetarians on MFP who get over 100g of protein a day, so meat is by no means necessary to meet your protein goals.

Some of my high protein go-to's are seitan, soy curls, beans and lentils of all kinds, tofu, tempeh, lentil pasta and faux meats. I also get probably 20-30 g over the course of the day from my "carbs", like oatmeal, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, and whole grain breads.

If all that still doesn't make it, there's always protein shakes.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Seitan, bean pasta (explore asian/banza/barilla plus), tofu, TVP, plant based protein powder, lentils/beans/nuts are usually what i ate for protein when I was on a more plant based diet. You can get over 100g in a day with a decent ratio to calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed... Chances are that your protein goal is unreasonably high. Unless you are a bodybuilder, 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass is sufficient. Normal diets tend to provide what you need without supplements, and normal diets also have the benefit of ease of compliance.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You're diary is locked...what's your goal? Is it custom set or? I'm vegetarian and don't have issues reaching my goal without eggs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    meat is like your best friend when it comes to protein. otherwise I would suggest a protein supplement, and egg whites and milk are also good sources.

If you only want one or two nutrients maybe...but personally I like more bang for my buck...like to also get other vitamins from my food in addition to protein.