Ladies - monthly frustration

Options
It's the week before I'm due on and I've bloated up 2lb and gained 2.5 inches on my abdomen (measure in was yesterday, half inch down everywhere else woohoo!)
Was wondering if anyone else experiences the same. I'm finding this strange, I never used to notice the bloating this much when I weighed my highest
I've bought some 3 ginger tea which also has galangal and golden turmeric as I've read that it can help pms symptoms and period pain, I'll give an update on if it helps :)

Replies

• Nathanae
    Nathanae Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    yes, please share if it helps with PMS! (Agnus Castus - herbal pills - are also said to help)
    A bit of bloating during that phase is very common, I have that same problem at the moment! The good news is: it will go away after the period. :) But it is frustrating to be good and stick to ones diet and don't feel any positive effects or weight loss! - don't be discouraged, maybe mark your calendar or check the "reports" graph here. You will notice how regular these fluctuations are and be mentally prepared for them so you can avoid scheduling your measuring for those days and not get upset about "plateau-ing" and feeling like a blob! ;)
  • redladybug69
    redladybug69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to drink extra water. Seems odd when you're already feeling bloated and gross but it worked for me.
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every month. Like you I never used to notice it, now that I'm losing weight I feel it coming on every month. I also used to get freaked out over it. I just try not to weigh myself and never measure then.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's always a couple days before and during TOM where I basically look 5 months pregnant. So much fun.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is completely normal. It's also normal to notice it now that you are paying more attention to your body than you were in the past. I know that before I made any movement to get fit, I was eating a ton of carbs, which come with water retention. My constant carb heavy diet would have masked any hormone-related water retention weight fluctuations. Now that I control my intake much more, the water retention is way more noticeable.

But yes, from a biological perspective this is completely normal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I actually bloat at reverse times (I bloat just before I ovulate and am at my smallest right before my period). It just depends why your body decides to hoard water I guess? But luckily either way you lose it all in a few days!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Oddly, since my GP increased my thyroid meds I don't seem to bloat anymore during that time of the month (of those 3-4 months... I hardly ever stop with the pill). I also seem to accumulate less water in the course of the day. Nice.
  • pbandalyssa
    pbandalyssa Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The smaller I get, the more noticeable my TOM is. I gain about 3 lb near it like clockwork. Lots of water helps me, but it's inevitable. I try to eat less sodium and drink lots of cranberry tea, but it still happens.
  • tinypinkfruitbat
    tinypinkfruitbat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for all the responses, glad to know I'm not on my own with this it felt crazy.

The tea I've been drinking seems to have helped a lot with the period pains, usually I'm curled up in bed for 2 days at the start full of painkillers but this time I've only had to take 1 and even managed to take my dog for a short walk. I'd recommend it just for that! :)

It's had a small effect on bloating, 1lb of the water retention came off and my measurements are back to what they were. I still FEEL bloated (I can't explain it) I have over eaten and had junk food this week as well :/

Mood swings have been all over the place like normal though I didn't expect that to be impacted.

I'm going to get some cranberry tea when shopping later, continue with the turmeric tea, lots of extra water and try to make better choices again :)
  • tinypinkfruitbat
    tinypinkfruitbat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also going to pick up some of those agnus castus supplements, I'd love to see if it's possible to completely clear up the pain without prescription pain medication.
  • HiCarol1
    HiCarol1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There were times where I was almost 10lbs heavier the week before. I totally freaked out. But the week after it went back to normal