Do you really lose weight as predicted by MFP diary at the end of each day?

Options
Okay so at the end of each day when you complete your diary, it gives you an estimated amount of weight you might lose the next five weeks, given the calorie consumption remains fairly constant. Has this ever worked for anyone? Do you really lose all the weight as predicted? Because MFP I might lose 7kg over the course of five weeks. Is this possible?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If your logging is 100% accurate and you eat that way every single day, then yes. But for a lot of people, no.
  • pawfectly
    pawfectly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If your logging is 100% accurate and you eat that way every single day, then yes. But for a lot of people, no.

I guess thats makes sense! Although I don't I think might lose 7kg, I'll give it a shot haha
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I guess thats makes sense! Although I don't I think might lose 7kg, I'll give it a shot haha
    7 kg is quite aggressive in five weeks. The most you should be aiming for is 2 pounds (a bit under 1 kg) per week, and that's only if you have 75+ pounds to lose. Remember that you should be aiming to meet your goal, not stay under it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been accurate for me. I have yet to eat the same exact food, and burn the same exact calories every single day for 5 weeks straight, not to mention all other variables such as TOM, water retention etc etc.

If you can achieve this and keep everything else constant, it may be accurate.
  • Blake_Rhoades
    Blake_Rhoades Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, the weight you gain or lose just comes down to numbers. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. The amount of calories you burn a day is determined by your body weight and height, and how many calories you burn through exercise. If you eat less than that, you will lose weight. Thus we can determine exactly how much weight you'll lose in a day. After all, 10 - 1 = 9, it's as simply as that when you know how much you eat and how much you burn.
    Some things to keep in mind:
    -Once you lose a certain amount of weight, your body will burn slightly less calories because there is less tissue needing energy. Make sure to log your weight as it changes.
    -Several factors can change your weight. Water weight, the food you eat, and clothes you wear can throw off the weight you get from day to day when on a scale. However, this does not mean you're not burning fat.
    -If you don't eat the exact same amount per day, you will not burn the exact same amount per day. One week you may burn 2.1 pounds and another week you may burn 1.8 pounds. This is inevitable, unless you eat the same meals every single day. Don't get discouraged, and stay within your calorie allowance.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Well, it's pretty unreasonable to assume you will have the same exact calories every day (if every day were like today, as it says), but it's kind of interesting to see what the number will be if you stay on track. I enjoy seeing the prediction. Makes it fun, in my opinion!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    mfp actually underestimates my weight loss slightly, assume I stick to the plan every day. Easier said than done!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, yes. It was to the t accurate. But then I got cocky and stopped logging everything and I maintained. If you log EVERYTHING it will be almost 100% exactly.
  • Scotty_51
    Scotty_51 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm losing faster than it predicts, the tough entry is the one for job. I have a very, very physical job and selected the highest setting (very active) and I suspect even that is too low. I have to eat at least 1,200 calories during my work day or I'll run out of energy. I've got it set to lose 1 pound/week, and I've been losing a steady 2-3 pounds/week.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Pfffft. No. Some days I hold onto more water. I plateaued a few weeks ago, for more than a week, and then started losing again. Weight loss isn't linear. And I don't know anyone who sticks to the exact same amount of calories per day and does the exact same amount of exercise per day. Personally my calorie intake varies each day between normally 1200-1500. I try to stick under 1500, but when I have a super hungry day I will eat more. And not such a hungry day I eat less.
    I think it's there more as a motivation device. To show you how you could be doing in a few weeks rather than anything else.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    Kind of, a bit faster actually. People are not machines and the amount of calories you should consume to stay on the same weight is an estimate that can be a bit higher and lower. The differences from this mid point is not too big though in general, maybe 100kcal max. It's a bit higher anyway if you have a good set of muscles or if you're fidgeting a lot while you still think you're very sedentary.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Well, it's pretty unreasonable to assume you will have the same exact calories every day (if every day were like today, as it says), but it's kind of interesting to see what the number will be if you stay on track. I enjoy seeing the prediction. Makes it fun, in my opinion!

Pretty much this. Hell, just due to inconsistencies in food itself, it's unreasonable to assume that even two of the same food item have the exact same number of calories (even when figuring by weight). It can be close enough, but never exact.
  • JazCopycat
    JazCopycat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No!!!!
    Wasted 2 months following recommendations. I need way less food than that. Even while cycling!!! Now, I just eat 90% healthy and only when hungry!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lost faster than the prediction during my first 16 weeks ... and pretty much right on the prediction during my second 16 weeks. :)

I find that prediction motivating. :)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. If it did I'd have been at my goal months ago. My body has a mind of its own and doesn't give a crap what MFP predicts. LOL
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sure, if your logged activity level is extremely accurate and constant and your food logging is extremely accurate and constant. But most people don't remain both constant and accurate in their logging.
    This app is factoring long term CICO presupposing the individual had no underlying metabolic issues or chronic disease. Plus, that mfp forecast doesn't account for the many transient causes of weight fluctuation such as hormones, sodium levels, bowel movements, muscle gain/loss, etc.
    Example: on days I exercise to my limits, and tear through my glycogen stores- I'll wake up 5-8 pounds lighter the next morning. If I lay about, hydrate & eat some carbs- most of that weight returns in a couple days.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It hasn't even ever been even the slightest bit close for me. Wish it was though!
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No sonetimrs yes but there are plateaus and when you get to your healthy weight your metabolism can slow. They just give you an estimate otherwise i wouldve been at my goal over a month ago
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I lost twice as fast as predicted at first. Then, right on target. The reason that this varies for everyone is because even when we weigh our food and do the same exercise every single day, the body is not in a constant state. There are fluctuations in hormone and water balance, metabolism shifts, etc. And calorie counts are ALWAYS an estimate, unless you have a precise calorimeter. Weight loss is not and cannot be an exact science unless you are living in a laboratory under constant supervision. This is why it is so difficult for scientists to figure out why some people lose and some people don't.