Have you ditched the scales yet?

2»

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I weigh myself maybe once a month to keep myself honest. However, I log my food and workouts daily. It comes down to having something you can use as a reliable measure.
  • mlouise62
    mlouise62 Posts: 7 Member
    I weigh myself every day. I try not too, but I'm obsessed with the scale. I just started, so not sure if it's helping or not.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    I hid my scales so I can drag them out 1x week. I use to weigh daily out of habit. I am now hoping by weighing weekly I will stay on course with my food because now I cannot check the weight each morning. Tomorrow is my 1st week of weighing 1x week.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Remaining objective about normal day-to-day fluctuations in weight is difficult for me. So for now I am weighing at my doctor's office every 6 weeks. My goal is to begin weighing at home once a week. It isn't good for me to weigh daily, but I know many people who do that successfully. I hope I can get to the point where weighing each morning will be routine and not upsetting.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2016
    I stopped and gained 10 pounds back over a couple of months, the same old denial routine. I'm back weighing myself daily although I won't carefully track once I lose the 10 pounds again. After losing 80 pounds, you'd think I'd learned my lesson but apparently I need some structure to maintain. I don't mind it.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    mcdonagk wrote: »
    My goal has been to reduce BF and gain muscle which obviously meant losing weight too. Having initially lost 22lbs my weight has not changed much in the last 4 to 5 months, however my waistline continues to get smaller and my t-shirts tighter which tells me the diet and weight training are working well so as of today I am longer going to use the scales to measure progress.
    Other than looking in the mirror what method do you like to use to measure progress if losing weight is no longer the ultimate goal?

I do weigh regularly to make sure that some accidental pounds aren't creeping back on. I'd say once or twice a week. (Shouldn't even weigh that often, but I do enjoy the ego boost that the scale number gives me.) The fit of clothes and how far down my thighs touch are my two other major markers.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Actually just bought a new scale and I will continue using it until one of us dies, either me or the scale. I can't trust perception, and I can't trust the measuring tape either (thank you bloating hormones). Even when I'm in maintenance the scale is of paramount importance to catch any trend heading upward.
  • pcsd203
    pcsd203 Posts: 16 Member
    I weigh every morning. I know I'm told not to do that. I have lost 27 pounds since April. I think for me it does actually help to check every morning. Keeps me motivated. Weight loss has been a bit slower in the last month, but doing more weights now, but now adding some cardio back in a few times a week. I'm not so much letting the scale control me, but I do think it keeps me motivated.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I weigh every morning for the past two years on maintenance. It keeps me honest. I also use the Happy Scale app which keeps me from freaking out if I gain a pound or so. I have a weight range that includes a scream weight. If I hit that weight, I know I need to get it off right away. So yes, I use the scale and it is more than helpful for me to do so. Motivation and also an honesty check.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I use exercise to keep improving the physique I'm after but as I'm not building much muscle mass it doesn't effect my weight much so I do use the scales, about once a fortnight to check i'm still at a happy maintenance weight, but that's because I don't log anymore so it's always good to check!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    I try to weigh daily, but I forget sometimes. I have to, because I weigh less than I should, according to my sister, doctor, and nutritionist. I have to be careful about that, and I have a huge, trembling fear of gaining back too much weight.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    I need the structure and accuracy to maintain especially at the weight I'm at. So weigh several times a week and use a food scale daily.

The food scale really keeps things in check.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    No, it's my morning ritual. I've mostly stopped weighing my food. I pretty much eat the same every day at the office anyway. But stepping on the scale confirms that my portion estimates are fine. More importantly, I don't want to lose more weight with a BMI of around 20 as I'll look too thin otherwise (have a wide frame and various bones stick out enough). Plus it seems to be a good measure on how my thyroid medication is doing. If it's not enough I hold more water. I was not amused when my GP upped my medication and had a whoosh not too long after and lost another 2lbs. Oh well...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I wont be ditching my scales ever, that's how I gained weight in the first place - not getting on them at all!
    Even in maintenance I step on them regularly, and yes, there are plenty of ways to know that our weight is stable but I prefer to get that confirmed by the number on the scale.
  • Taylorgo90
    Taylorgo90 Posts: 56 Member
    I wight onece per week