Weigh today Weigh tomorrow??

Options
Hi all can anyone advise me on how often I should weigh myself? I try to get myself on my Wii fit everyday and i automatically weigh myself but it gets me down when two or three days in a row it says ive put on a 1lb. I know this isnt a true reading of my weight and I need to get myself out of the habit. But when should I weigh myself, once a week once a fortnight, morning, evening??
I need help!!!:sad:

Replies

• AlienBaby
    AlienBaby Posts: 22
    Options
    You should realy weigh yourself once a week on a morning
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    Once a week is good, but it should be at about the same time of day each week. I wind up not able to weigh myself until the evening time. We have no scales here so I use the scales at the gym. I make sure though to do it at the same time each weigh in so that it is a bit more accurate. If you don't do it first thing in the a.m., you also have to remember that some of that weight you see on the scales comes from what you ate and drank that day as well.
  • ladybuggirls07
    ladybuggirls07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I "officially" weigh in every Friday morning.. Most of the time if I need a "free" day it is on the weekend, so I have the whole week to work it off... but do what is best for you... I "unofficially' weigh myself sometimes during the week.. .If I see something I don't like, I work a little extra to get that off too!... Good luck to you!
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    I have to admit that the past two weeks that I've been following this program I've weighed myself every day. Some days I'm up, but some days I'm down. I've been trying to use that as a clue as to how my food choices affect my body on the short term and long term. Such as going over a little on calories and fat won't mean my weight will go up, but if I'm under on those two and up on my sodium I gain at least a pound or two depending on how much sodium.

If its discouraging to see the fluctuation then do it once a week, or however often you want to weigh yourself.

I like doing it once a week in the morning before I eat or drink anything.
  • TeresaJill
    TeresaJill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whatever keeps you on the path without allowing you to kid yourself is what you need to do. If the up and down thing bumms you out to the point where you feel like quitting, try once a week.

I've been up and down in weight too many times to count and the thing I've finally realized is that staying on the path is more important than rushing to the finish line.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week first thing in the morning - naked and after I use the bathroom. Its such a nice feeling to see a 1 or 2 pound drop all at once. But if I weigh every day, I get discouraged because 1 pound over the course of a week is only a few ounces a day.
  • Spreadborough
    Options
    I officially log my weight once a week. However, I typically step on a scale several times a day, because I am obsessed with obtaining my goal and staying on task. I'm in this 100% and then some. I've seen my weight plateau for about a week, and then 2 pounds drop off the next day, so I don't freak out or expect a steady loss every day and I know my weight can fluctuate throughout the day by up to 2 pounds.

For my official weigh in, it is in the morning, after using the restroom, but before eating, drinking or doing any activity.

That's what works for me. I know there are lots of differing opinions on this.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself anytime I'm near my scale honestly...and because of that I've had some interesting surprises. I invariably weigh myself in the morning when I wake up, naked, after the restroom...daily. Doing this has clued me into trends my body goes through regarding diet and exercise and most importantly WATER RETENTION!

If you are weighing yourself daily at the same time, and eating on a similar schedule every day (meaning similar bowel movements)...ANY real fluctuation up from morning to morning will be water weight. It would be VERY difficult (I'd like to say impossible...but hey) to ingest enough food to gain half a pound of fat in any 48hr period. Additionally, it IS impossible to gain any measurable amount of muscle in a 48hr period (the male human body can only gain about 1lb lean mass a month, max effort weight training and bodybuilder diet...females less). ANY weight gain of a measurable amount over the course of a couple days IS water weight...plain and simple.

Don't be scared of your scale...understand it for the tool it is...and understand that even as a tool it's little more than a rough gauge of what's going on with your body. Yesterday I ate 2300cal of Taco Bell over the course of the day (looong story). Today I don't even weigh an ounce more than I did yesterday.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I officially log my weight once a week. However, I typically step on a scale several times a day, because I am obsessed with obtaining my goal and staying on task. I'm in this 100% and then some. I've seen my weight plateau for about a week, and then 2 pounds drop off the next day, so I don't freak out or expect a steady loss every day and I know my weight can fluctuate throughout the day by up to 2 pounds.

For my official weigh in, it is in the morning, after using the restroom, but before eating, drinking or doing any activity.

That's what works for me. I know there are lots of differing opinions on this.

^^^^^^
    THIS
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I weight myself a few times a week just to get a feel for where I am at. I did weight myself using Wii Fit for the first 2 weeks until I got a real scale and discovered that Wii Fit was not accurate at all. I would not trust the reading on it, I'm sure that the battery strength and how the weight is distributed on the balance board have an impact on the Wii Fit reading.

Some people weight themselves every day for a week and then take an average to see where they are at with weight since it fluctuates daily.

Best recommendation, get an actual scale instead of relying on Wii Fit.

Good luck!
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, in the nude & before I eat, drink or do anything else. I find that weighing myself everyday is to much for me & makes me feel disscouraged b/c of all the flutuations.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself anytime I'm near my scale honestly...and because of that I've had some interesting surprises. I invariably weigh myself in the morning when I wake up, naked, after the restroom...daily. Doing this has clued me into trends my body goes through regarding diet and exercise and most importantly WATER RETENTION!

If you are weighing yourself daily at the same time, and eating on a similar schedule every day (meaning similar bowel movements)...ANY real fluctuation up from morning to morning will be water weight. It would be VERY difficult (I'd like to say impossible...but hey) to ingest enough food to gain half a pound of fat in any 48hr period. Additionally, it IS impossible to gain any measurable amount of muscle in a 48hr period (the male human body can only gain about 1lb lean mass a month, max effort weight training and bodybuilder diet...females less). ANY weight gain of a measurable amount over the course of a couple days IS water weight...plain and simple.

Don't be scared of your scale...understand it for the tool it is...and understand that even as a tool it's little more than a rough gauge of what's going on with your body. Yesterday I ate 2300cal of Taco Bell over the course of the day (looong story). Today I don't even weigh an ounce more than I did yesterday.

YES! THIS is exactly what you need to read. :)
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I "officially" weigh in every Friday morning.. Most of the time if I need a "free" day it is on the weekend, so I have the whole week to work it off... but do what is best for you... I "unofficially' weigh myself sometimes during the week.. .If I see something I don't like, I work a little extra to get that off too!... Good luck to you!

i do the EXACT same thing!!! it works really well! that way i don't get hung up on the scale and i know that if i ate too much or didnt work out as much as i maybe should have on the weekend, i have 4 days to push myself to make it up! i totally recommend this route :bigsmile: