Drinking a gallon of water a day to assist on burning fat and weight loss

2»

Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Never use Wikipedia with regards to your health. Pop culture, yes, but health, NO.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2016
    wikipedia can be a good resource to find your real sources. you have to actually click through and verify the sources cited to make sure that they 1) are reliable and 2) say what the wikipedia article claims they do. sometimes the linked wikipedia sources are bogus, sometimes they have good information, but you have to look yourself.

EDIT: forgot to quote the post i was responding to lol
    Never use Wikipedia with regards to your health. Pop culture, yes, but health, NO.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    @Ikhan704 I'm so sorry your thread turned into such a cluster f@%*!!! You really didn't get any help. Good luck on your weight loss journey!

@cmriverside I was wrong...for men, the recommended minimum calorie intake is 1500. I'm sorry I didn't remember that, I am a woman and for women, it is 1200. I'm not pulling these numbers out of my *kitten*. And the science behind it is real. While I was looking at the blog today, I started reading The 7 Mistakes Dieters Make. There's a link for an article for not eating enough calories. I suggest you read it and educate yourself.

@SLLRunner Please read my response above. I suggest you do the same.

@Christine_72 Ditto to you too.

@Asher_Ethan You need to read the article too.

@scoii You should too

@cerise_noir And you.

@stevencloser You too.

@JaneSnowe It'd be a good idea for you to read it too.

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    @Ikhan704 I'm so sorry your thread turned into such a cluster f@%*!!! You really didn't get any help. Good luck on your weight loss journey!

@cmriverside I was wrong...for men, the recommended minimum calorie intake is 1500. I'm sorry I didn't remember that, I am a woman and for women, it is 1200. I'm not pulling these numbers out of my *kitten*. And the science behind it is real. While I was looking at the blog today, I started reading The 7 Mistakes Dieters Make. There's a link for an article for not eating enough calories. I suggest you read it and educate yourself.

@scoii You should too

@cerise_noir And you.

@stevencloser You too.

Why do I need to read it?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

I did read your post above and chose not to respond. Therefore, there is no reason to call me out.

You suggest I do the same what?

By the way, I stand by my words. You have provided inadequate sources.

Finally, your diagnosis 30 years ago when you were eating 1000 calories a day does not apply in this situation. It's only been 7 days. The OP is clearly experiencing lack of patience. Besides, for starvation mode you have to actually be emaciated and literally starving. Us normal weight people, fat people and slightly underweight people do not experience starvation mode. Besides, you don't hold onto fat or gain weight when in adaptive thermogenisis, and to get there you have to have lost a lot of muscle tone and fat.

Good luck to you. :)
  • JonnyJonny5555
    JonnyJonny5555 Posts: 21 Member
    Ikhan704 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? This is day 7 for me and I haven't seen weight loss. I have dropped my caloric intake as well and I exercise daily. Any thoughts?

A gallon a day? Do you not spend all day in the toilet? I pray you never get stuck for hours in traffic.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    @atitagain1958 I'll read your suggestion if you read this article.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    THIS IS MY LAST AND FINAL POST...30 years ago I was taking in 1000 calories a day and working out at the gym 3 times a week. I wasn't losing weight. I thought, gee wiz what do I have to do? I mentioned it to my doctor at a routine visit and I was told my body was in STARVATION MODE or ADAPTIVE THERMOGENESIS as what was written on my chart. He told me to go up to 1200 calories a day. I thought he was crazy and expected to GAIN weight. It made no sense to me. However, I started to lose. So, I'm a firm believer. I don't need to read any study. I experienced it FIRST HAND! What's better than that? I was just trying to help...you all can do whatever you want. Good luck to all of you.

The logical explanation for this is that you were actually eating more than 1000 calories. Perhaps your tracking was off, or perhaps undereating triggered binges that wiped out your calorie deficit. When you switched to 1200 calories, you started logging more accurately, and then saw results.

Nobody stops losing weight by undereating. Yes, your metabolism will slow, but you won't stop losing weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

starvationimage.jpg?w=1000
  • JosetteGetsFit
    JosetteGetsFit Posts: 55 Member
    If I go a day not drinking about a gallon of water I retain water and feel like crap. I drink about gallon a day mostly to help my blood pressure and flush out my system. Pure clean filtered water is healing and under rated.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member

@scoii You should too

@cerise_noir And you.

@stevencloser You too.

Welp, it's obvious you didn't take your own advise. How about you read the links stevencloser provided for you. And all the people that you are claiming didn't read your links aren't telling you those link are inaccurate just for the fun of it. They are saying it because the stuff you are certain is the case is not. Just because you find something on the internet you agree with doesn't make it truth. A term you may be interested in, 'peer-reviewed'. Sorry, if that sounds rude, but you seem to have your mind made up and are certain that anyone and everyone who doesn't immediately support your opinions are wrong even if they can provide supportable information otherwise. Always be willing to investigate other viewpoints.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    If you choose to drink lots of water please remember to replace those electrolytes you pee/sweat out! I drink upwards of 200oz per day, my sodium is increased as well as my potassium and magnesium.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    I WAS drinking a gallon per day but considering the long college classes I have, especially during the condensed summer, it wasn't such a good idea.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Ikhan704 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? This is day 7 for me and I haven't seen weight loss. I have dropped my caloric intake as well and I exercise daily. Any thoughts?

It won't help, other than you won't be over eating the 3 hours a day you'll spend peeing. ;)

Calorie deficit, drink when your thirsty.