Transitioning from weight watchers to mfp

Options
New to this site. I'm used to counting points and so this is so different. Anyone else? Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Counting calories is no much easier, and you don't even have to do it - MFP does it for you. Just weigh and log.

If you haven't already -read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I didn't transition but I started counting calories after not really giving a *kitten* about calories. So it was all new to me when I started, too. But it's really easy. This site is really just a food log with a community attached. So, just log what you eat and drink! MFP will track your calories for you. All you have to do is keep an eye on your daily limit and try not to go over. Some people will tell you to weigh food to get the most accurate calorie count but I don't do any of that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It's a bit different but you'll get used to it. The database is a million times better than WW but at the same time there is a lot of user entries so be careful in choosing a good one. Time to get used to counting all those fruits and veggies! Everything counts on MFP. And my last piece of advice is to buy a food scale for accuracy - WW seemed to be a lot less into accuracy in my opinion, which works fine when you have a lot to lose, but when you're closer to goal it usually doesn't work as well. Good luck! I've done both and really love MFP. The WW meetings were good and I loved my leader but I like my scale more when I use MFP.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is no much easier, and you don't even have to do it - MFP does it for you. Just weigh and log.

If you haven't already -read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Eh - SO much easier :s
  • findrayofsun
    findrayofsun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow Thanks for all your responses ! I'm exited to be here! I love the food tracker! I was completely shocked how comprehensive it is. I thought WW was the be all end all, I guess I was wrong! Now just need to figure out how to get closer to my daily totals. The first days I was way off (didn't get enough!)
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In the food selection category there is a food upc symbol. Press that and your camera opens...hover it over the package of food with the upc symbol and poof** mfp automatically grabs the exact food and logs it.

I do this every time at the grocery store.

If you pay attention, see how many people are taking pics of the back of foods next time you visit a grocery store lol

I've lost sooooo much more weight from counting my calories vs the point system. I can see exactly every single calorie

I compare it to driving a stick vs an automatic (I love driving stick lol)
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I tried WW years and years ago, but it never made sense to me. Calories are easy. Good luck ^_^
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I did atkins, counted carbs...then WW, counted points...then MFP, counted calories. MFP is so much easier. Give it a week or so to get most of your favorite foods entered and it gets "waaaay more betterer"...maybe even the "bestest" :)