Food advice to help lose weight

Options
Let me start off with my info:
5'11
260 lbs
Not very active
The goal is start counting my calories and to lose weight, the app is telling me I need to eat about 1730 each day. Great, I can do that. I'm completely swapping over to only drinking water and pepsi zero/max. As for food, I'm aware that chicken and rice is a good combo of food I can eat that is healthy/cheap and tastes good. I'm looking to stock up on food like this, and was curious as to what else I should be picking up. Any food advice would be fantastic. Any tips/tricks to help me along is also very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did--I set my goal at 1 lb a week. I ate all the calories MFP gave me. I ate back all my exercise calories. I ate whatever I wanted, not worrying about "healthy" at all. And I logged EVERY SINGLE BITE. I still do. I've lost 89 lbs. Good luck.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you need to give up things to lose weight. You can keep eating the foods you like either in smaller portions or with modifications to get the calories down a bit.

The more you change from your normal way of eating, the harder it will be to stick with it because you'll want to go back to your old way of eating.

Make small changes and only change one or two things at a time so that you can get used to those changes.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A few tips and tricks I've learned over the years:

If you absolutely love mashed potatoes but don't want THAT much starch, go for mashed cauliflower. A bit of butter and milk added in and you're set.

Spaghetti squash is a favorite in our house, and better for you than pasta.

Chicken, LEAN beef (I prefer 93%), pork (occasionally). Turkey's another good way to go.

If you normally enjoy eating out, go online and look for the copycat recipes of your favorite meals; that way you can trim them at home. (My personal favorite - Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana soup; my homemade crockpot version is now better than theirs, according to my husband.)

Good for you for going to water, though I'd recommend against the diet soda, personally.

Another advantage of the crockpot route (provided you have the fridge/freezer space); when you make a batch of something, divide it into tupperwares for easy serving size.

Good luck!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That weight scale is a great suggestion. I suggest you get an electronic one you can easily put a dinner plate upon. Couldn't get out of the house the other day and, with trepidation, I asked my husband to go get me one. He came back with the most awesome one! I would not have been that generous with myself.

I've lost 124 pounds from age 60 to 64; I'm 67 now. Some of the main things I did were:
    > bought smaller dinner plates to serve our food on
    > added fruit to my diet
    > drank more water -- icy-cold water all year
    > cut out all added sugar and switched to sweeteners
    > ate less meat -- way less beef
    > grazed all day (fresh raw vegies), rather than waiting for meals
    > didn't eat a whole meal unless I was hungry
    > saw hunger as my "Badge of Courage" rather than something that needs to be fixed
    > ate slowly, really tasting my food, and masticating it well so that the nutrients were better used by my body
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Lots of beans, tuna, whole wheat pasta, and fruits and vegetables. This stuff is healthy and inexpensive. But the others on here are right--eat whatever you want, just be faithful and truthful about counting your calories.
  • JamiesMummyxx
    JamiesMummyxx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a rarity to be honest as I don't see how eating healthy has too be THAT expensive .. it can be done on a budget! Btw, 100% behind the food scale. £15 well spent.

Turkey breasts. Turkey rocks.
    Any of your fav veggies are good, frozen is fine! £1 for a bag of brussels / sweetcorn / peas etc - awesome!
    Stir frys + noodles / rice - Again, frozen peppers/mushrooms/onions/green beans - a pound each. Does multiple meals.
    Eggs for scrambled / omelettes / boiled
    Beans - green beans, baked beans, kidney beans, broad beans - all beans! Cheap and cheerful!
    Salmon / Tuna - on Salads - Cooked with pasta - With a side of veggies - With a jacket - anything. :smile:
    Sweet potatoes / Baked potatoes
    Any amounts of salads and fruits of your own choice.

All healthy, not bad on the budget - more food for your money really compared to what we pay for a bag of chicken nuggets and chips or a maccy D!! :smiley:

Water is your best friend if you can handle the toilet trips.

Move more, walk to the shop instead of drive, take the stairs when you can, gardening, little bits all add up.

Don't take on too much at once, it takes TIME. Lots of time. Time is something we have much of, don't rush yourself.

If you f up, take it on the chin, try again from the next day or even the next meal. Do not take anything too heart. Count your non scale victories. Take compliments. Take your measurements, these will give you more hope than the scales.

Expect fluctuations - you'll be surprised how many people weigh multiple times a day and don't understand how they've gained 5lb. Or even a big meal then think they've put on 2lb the following morning. Understand your body, sodium and nutrition. Learn as much as you can. Expect a dip in energy for the first 2/3 days, then it'll raise right up the moment you start eating good foods.

Most of all. Good luck on your journey !! It's a big one. :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get a digital scale. Chicken and rice is good and cheap. But don't feel like you have to completely change all the foods you enjoy. As long as you stay at your calorie goal you will lose weight. Don't cut out anything that you don't plan to cut out forever. You can continue eating the things you like if you are able to eat smaller portions. Play around with the things you eat to find out what keeps you full longer. If I have a good amount of protein early on the day it keeps me full and I almost always have room for something sweet everyday. Some things that I like to keep on hand are eggs (you can boil a dozen eggs and keep them in the fridge all week unpeeled until you want them.) I also keep tuna and different fruits and plenty of Greek yogurt. I recently found out that you came buy skinless boneless Chicken thighs and I cook them in my crockpot and use it on salads, chicken wraps and pulled Chicken sandwiches. If you eat out then go online before hand and figure out what you plan to order and make sure it fits your calorie goal. Some people find it easier and cheaper to cook at home, but you have to do what works for your lifestyle. We usually eat out at least once or twice a week. I just plan for it and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. You will have to play around with your diet a little to see what works best for you. But getting a digital food scale and weighing as much as you can will be really helpful so you will know that you are eating what you think you are.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago and eat a lot of raw veggies now. Carrots for sure! A fried egg on whole grain bread in the morning with some fruit. Lots of salads with canned tuna in water. Chicken breast. Veggie burgers from Whole Foods are great! And on the days that I just want to order food, I pick a salad and flatbread from Panera. Logging every single thing is great, too, because you learn very quickly what you can eat and when to stay under your daily goal.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Let me start off with my info:
    5'11
    260 lbs
    Not very active
    The goal is start counting my calories and to lose weight, the app is telling me I need to eat about 1730 each day. Great, I can do that. I'm completely swapping over to only drinking water and pepsi zero/max. As for food, I'm aware that chicken and rice is a good combo of food I can eat that is healthy/cheap and tastes good. I'm looking to stock up on food like this, and was curious as to what else I should be picking up. Any food advice would be fantastic. Any tips/tricks to help me along is also very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey man! Youre a dude, and about my age it looks like, so there's common ground there! I've also lost over 100lb this last year doing exactly what you've said you're gonna do so that's kickazz.

I buy a bunch of uncle Bens 90 second rice, and a ton of microwaveable bags of veggies. That's my staple dinner, which I'll add some ranch and like 6oz baked chicken breast or thigh, that I bake in bulk about once a week.
    I also love egg whites from a carton, which I'll throw in some salt, pepper, and moz cheese on top of..it's a pretty rad breakfast for like 300cal.
    I eat a couple bananas most days, little snack bags of doritos or lays potato chips, and often little 100 calorie "granola" bars.
    Personally, it often helps me to practice a loose version of intermittent fasting..which is just that I try not to eat till after noon, or later. I don't always do this, if I'm hungry early I just eat, but when I can do it, it really helps me stay within my calories for the day.
    Lastly I don't drink anything with calories, I stick to mio added to water, and I loved mtn dew before I started so I drink a lot of diet mtn dew now..
    If you need any further help, lemme know.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    As far as food suggestions are concerned, I'd check out other people's dairies. It may give you some ideas you wouldn't otherwise think of. Mine's open, if you're interested, but I'm at 1364 calories, and I've set my macros to favor protein.
  • georgiab0095
    georgiab0095 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 20 years old and I've dropped 87 pounds! Feel free to check my diary for recipes. It may be repetitive since I meal prep but can still give you some ideas! I'm a broke colle kid, so if your looking for cheap ideas my diary is the place for you. Lol