sigh . . . already feeling overwhelmed & intimidated

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
So I have been clicking around, trying to maximize my experience here & I'm more depressed then when I started.

I don't think I can really do all THAT. The idea that I need a food scale is intimidating. The calorie counting . . .

I was just sort of hoping that I would get some motivation to go to the gym, find some magic exercise to help me lose the dreaded belly fat but otherwise continue on relatively normally with a few minor changes: eating less overall; eating healthier / cleaner & exercising maybe 3 days per week.

This is all so much . . . a huge lifestyle overhaul that I'm not sure I can commit to.

Please help me find the motivation.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well, sorry to say there is not magic to help you lose belly fat but you CAN relax a bit. Eat less, log your calories, don't buy a scale right away, move more. Don't try to do a 360, shoot for a 180. Pick a calorie goal that isn't too extreme, eat foods you like, add in some more fruit and veg.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also this is a great podcast and this particular one discusses diet basics...plus Ben is super motivating. Right away he addresses being overwhelmed. I think you'll really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhLgzGgjQM&list=PLtpOTGOc6gWery6BPQ3wZFACZj2rid4pa&index=81
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ...and if you have a lot of weight to lose, you don't need a food scale for a while. It's easy to lose weight if you have a lot of weight to lose. It's when you get within 20-25 pounds of goal that the numbers start to be REALLY important. I lost my first 40 pounds by eyeballing stuff - and frequently eating sugary treats - and not exercising very hard or very often. All those things need to be tightened up when you get closer to goal. If you are starting out with not much to lose, then it's a more intricate problem.
  • jawillia
    jawillia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There is no magic to any of it. Some people are very restrictive and others are way more lenient, like myself. I've been on this journey since March. I've lost 17.8 lbs since then, but still a ways to go. You HAVE TO COMMIT and you HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE or it will not work. You may lose some but if you don't change your lifestyle, you will fall back bc you're going to go back to your old routine. I lost 40 lbs before with a restrictive diet, but then went back to my old ways because I didn't change my lifestyle and eating habits. I gained 80lbs back! I haven't been physically able to go to the gym once since March, I have a herniated disc and have been flat on my back for a while. I eat pizza, cookies, cheeseburgers, etc, but I don't overindulgence and I don't do it everyday. I don't waste an entire day eating crap either. If I have a bad lunch I still eat breakfast and dinner like I would if I had eaten healthy. Try to stay within your calorie goal and realize you've got to train your self to make better decisions. It takes 30 days to for a new habit. It may take a little while, but you can do it. Good luck!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    There's no magic anything, but just start... anywhere. Change one thing at a time. You don't have to go crazy with it. The main thing is to just do something different. Maybe it's starting with cutting out pop (if that's your thing), or some other super high calorie item. Maybe it's just a commitment to walk 30 minutes a day. Slowly build on it. Take it one day, one week, or one month, one pound at a time. But start now. In a year you'll be that much farther ahead than if you had done nothing. You CAN do this. Believe it!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I am with @cmriverside on this one. It is aprocess. Do not expect to be where others are after quite some time on this journey. We all started at some point and learned along the way whet worked for us.

I started with just walking, nothing but a regular walk. It was not until I found that I was no longer loosing weight and feeling quite the opposite happening that I found MFP. That was at least 2 years after I had started my journey to get fitter. I have been here 2.5 years now (over 900 days now)
    I then simply started the actual logging. At the same time I decided to cut out all sweets for 3 months. As it was the start of the year nobody noticed as many sort of decide to have no sweets/alcohol form a month just after the heavy christmas partying.
    I did not really start weighing my food until my first plateau, which was after 6 months or so. I did not start any resistence training until about a year ago. All the time my main excersise was walking and some cycling and yoga.
    I did not join a gym until 3 months ago, That was when I felt that I and my body were aching for another challenge. And trust me it is having some challenges thrown at it. I started weights and strength training and discovering muscles that must have lain dormant for most of my life, given the amount of muscle stiffness I experience on a regular basis at present. And you know what? I love it. Last year if anybody would ahve told me I would be doing what I am fdoing now I would have laughed them straight in the face. It too has been a nourney of self discovery.

Just as my goals changed (from fitting a specific skirt, getting to my healthy BMI, to at present wanting to get to the middle of my BMI) and got more challenging, the use of MFP got more intense and precise. In part because I had to (I am within my healthy BMI and only 3kg from my goal), but also because I enjoy it.
    Had I started in the way that I am using it now I am not sure I would have been here today.

Last but not least it is a community here. We've all been where you are. Start taking steps one by one, Before you know it you are walking with us. It does work, but nobody expects you to be perfect from day one.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Op, you do not need a food scale or to count calories. Whatever you are eating now, just eat less of it. If your weight is not shifting eat a little bit less and exercise a little bit more.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    First, there's no 1 "magic" exercise that will help you lose fat (regardless of location). Come to the realization that it's a series of alot of exercise repeatedly that will accomplish that. Rather than looking at the whole scope, add those things little by little gradually. As a whole, it can be overwhelming and make you feel defeated before you really get started. Take "baby steps."
    I prefer to phrase it like this: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's actually not all that difficult. It just looks that way at the beginning.

When I started, I wasn't using a food scale. I did it wrong and was measuring using cups and spoons. I only added the scale LATER after I got used to logging by using cups and spoons.

And yeah, the logging, it's sort of a pain at first. So I just set a goal to do it today. Then do it tomorrow. Then the next day. Then one week. Then two weeks. And so on until it's a habit.

You just start small then incorporate more items as you go along.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »

This is all so much . . . a huge lifestyle overhaul that I'm not sure I can commit to.

Simply don't try to overhaul your entire lifestyle all at once! One small change at a time!

• andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try to pick one or two changes that you can commit to long term and once those things become habit it will be easier to make other changes.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I forgot... I actually read an article earlier this week about building good habits and eliminating bad ones and it had 3 good principles to follow: 1) Be realistic. Don't try to change everything at once, but choose one or two small goals you consider to be priority. 2) Manage your environment. Make it easier to make the right choices and harder to make the bad ones. For example, if ice cream is a weakness, don't keep it in the house- make yourself have to go to the store for it. 3) Take a long-range view. A setback doesn't equal failure. Focus on what you are doing right. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Even after years, when I want to tighten things up, I pick one or two things :). Some people can get all of it done at once, but

a) Not everyone needs to
    b) Not everyone can master that level of multitasking, and it could end up hindering our ability to meet our goals
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Small steps/changes will be less overwhelming. Stay strong, op! You got this! #rockstar!
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've lost almost 60 lbs in the past year. The first three months, I did zero exercise and I ate fast food and processed frozen food every meal of the day. Sure it's a lot of sodium and not a lot of nutrition, but the way I was eating before was worse. Eating processed/packaged food made portion size and calorie counting easy (just make sure it's only one serving per package) and junk food kept me from making a major life overhaul. The only thing I did was log EVERYTHING I ate and I aimed for about 1900 calories per day on average (I was 250 lbs so that was enough to lose weight).

Eventually I bought a food scale (about $10 on Amazon and it adds about 3 seconds of time to every meal to drop something on it and hit the button) and started doing VERY light exercise (30 minutes of super slow walking 2-3 times per week). I didn't switch to kale salads and zucchini noodles, I was still eating a lot of frozen/processed foods and ice cream almost every day, but I did start adding in a few healthier options here and there and slowly lowered my average daily calories (after exercise) from 1900 to about 1700, then eventually 1500. I was still losing weight every week.

Now, a year later, I still eat some sort of dessert almost every day and occasionally go for pizza delivery or some craft beer, but my tastes have changed and I eat a lot of vegetables and green tea and grilled chicken. But that's after a YEAR. In the beginning (and for most of that year) it was McDonald's, Starbucks, Amy's frozen dinners, low fat ice cream, Fiber One bars, etc.

I know the food scale sounds annoying but it is seriously the least annoying thing ever and in my opinion it is 100% necessary. Depending on how overweight you are, you might be able to lose weight for a little while without one but you will definitely lose much faster when you're weighing your food. If I can do this, you definitely can - I am pretty much the laziest, most junk-food-loving person ever!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So I have been clicking around, trying to maximize my experience here & I'm more depressed then when I started.

I don't think I can really do all THAT. The idea that I need a food scale is intimidating. The calorie counting . . .

I was just sort of hoping that I would get some motivation to go to the gym, find some magic exercise to help me lose the dreaded belly fat but otherwise continue on relatively normally with a few minor changes: eating less overall; eating healthier / cleaner & exercising maybe 3 days per week.

Based on what you said train leaves for Fantasyland in 5 minutes. In all seriousness the first thing I can tell you is that you're worth it. You also need torealize that you're worth it.

No one can motivate you to do anything you don't want to do. That motivation has to come from within. the Next Step is that you have to find is a personal why. That why has to be totally selfish it can't be about the kids it can't be about the significant other. It totally has to be about you. By it being totally about you all the other whys will take care of themselves.

As far as the process anything that's worthwhile will take time and effort. I hate to tell you this but if you don't want to put the effort in, learn to deal with yourself as you are because without some hard work it's not going to work.

To lose the weight is the easy part. Its a matter of plugging in your numbers and goals into the mfp app and following the guidelines it gives you. The tough part is choosing to do it. As I stated before you're worth it.

For me there's been nothing hard about doing this. I've been on diets before and I work so much harder and the results even haven't come close. This is not a diet it's a lifestyle change. I haven't given up anything I enjoy. If I have to give up the occasional Wendy's hamburger or a beer or two on the beach or pizza I could have never done this.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have made the decision to change --- that is a big step towards a happier future. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

People can lose weight just eating less. My dh lost 30 lbs without counting calories or exercising- just ate less. That approach didn't work for me. I needed to see the numbers to lose 25 lbs. I needed to plan my meals and pre-log my day. It does not have to be a lifestyle overhaul. I eat most of the same foods. I don't exercise more than an hour a day. It takes about 5 minutes to pre-log my food every morning
    Nothing is magic. Regardless of what you do or how you eat you will need to eat fewer calories or burn more calories to lose weight.
    MFP is a great tool. Just start logging what you consume as accurately as you can and stick to the calorie goal you were given. Reduce portion sizes of higher calorie items. Get enough protein, fats and fiber to feel satisfied A food scale is helpful to figuring out portion sizes. Some people never use one but a lot of people find them to make a difference particularly as they get closer to a healthy weight.
    Give it 3 months.