Where obesity can really start

Options
WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
I was watching one of those movies..popular girls pick on overweight girl with fake note written to her from a guy that supposly likes her, so she goes to his table and bunch of guys laugh..keep thinking in that moment, thats not cool. I even felt like that when I got picked on..I was in good shape until I was 10..then went to school, drama happened and packed on the weight then..I think a majoirty of people put on the weight during the school years. Thats when I found myself eating more, and having low self esteem. Just a thought thats all.

Replies

• LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    my mother tells me I was about 5 or 6 when I started putting on weight. I evolved into an eating disorder by 14. and lost 60 lbs. after high school I was put on medication and went from 170 to 270 within 2 years (before age 20). so no.. its not always adult onset
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I was a very thin child and very thin teenager. I gained weight during my first pregnancy - I lost some of it after she was born. But, birth control and an unhappy life overall led to a huge gain that put me over 200lbs. I did lose a little of it when I got pregnant the second time - but turning to food after she was born shot my weight right back up.
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Its a shame. I think I developed most of my self image issues in junior high and high school as well. Unfortunately that tends to be such an important time for our development. Fortunately, once we understand the issue, we can take steps to correct the damage done.

Mike
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight until adulthood either. I do think it varies based on the person, but I definitely see the OP's point.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think most people who are obese were over weight kids. I don't care if 10, 5, 2 or out of the womb. Why does there have to be a "TRIGGER" for us getting Fat...What about the Theory that "WE" have the Fat Gene and did NOT know how to control it UNTIL "WE" got to NOW (Whenever You/Me TOOK Control and Responsibility over our Health and Weight.)

My Mom used to tell this story about Me: 4 Weeks AFTER I was born I would cry endlessly, nothing she could do would quiet Me; she was at her wits end, so one day when I began to cry, she looked at Me and gave Me cereal with My formula and I was satisfied! She continued... she deduced that I was HUNGRY!

My Theory about being Obese/Over-eaters...is that "STUFF" happened to Us BECAUSE "WE" were/are Obese, STUFF DID NOT happen to Us to MAKE Us Obese, From Childhood to Adulthood.

Ohh, give it a rest about the "school Stuff", this is where personalities come OUT...NOT Developed there! We NOW know that personality is developed within the FIRST 2 years of Life...actually Womb to 2 yrs. AND Every one goes through the adolescence "thing." Let's STOP trying to find excuses for obesity other than "Hand to Mouth and Couch." Exception for some taking certain drugs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny kid and got picked on like that. But somewhere along the line, I had enough positive reinforcement to have enough self-esteem to realize that the ones picking on me were the ones with something wrong with them.

That's what more kids need to be taught. That being kind is a good thing. That someone who is rude, mean and hateful is the one with the problem, not the one who might be overweight, or have acne, or be too skinny. We don't have that much control over how we look. But we have complete control over how we behave.

I'm glad my mom taught me to be a good person. And to recognize when someone wasn't a good person. And to not let someone who's an a-hole get me down.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think obesity is part nurture and part nature. Did you every notice that there can be one chunky puppy in a litter of normal-size pups? I've often seen the same in humans-one sibling who struggles with weight but eats just like her brothers and sisters. I think some of us are predisposed to weight gain just like some are predisposed to alcoholism or nicotine addiction. When you add things like stress, isolation, and exposure to unhealthy eating habits, it's no wonder there are so many of us out here.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    Yeah, i do agree here it can vary.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I think its easy to blame others than admit its a flaw in us. Its the same thing with drug alcohol abuse, etc. Awful things happen to us, just horrible, but, we can't let things in our past define who we are. There comes a time when we just accept our problems ans work past them. Life is about learning, when we give up and allow our past to beat us then we truly have lost. I personally wont let my past win.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    I apologize if it seems like I'm blaming others, def no intent to make others look like the bad people. Cassie, I do agree with you though..we have to learn to move forward and work through our mistakes and learn from there, sometimes thats not always easy (from my experience) but we gotta do what we gotta do.
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I never said I was obese. I wasn't. I said I had self image issues. And, regardless of what you think, I believe they are rooted in my adolescence. I think the realization that you have an issue, regardless of where it came from, makes it your responsibility to overcome it. I'm not trying to blame anyone.