Too much protein?

Options
I've heard that many people use MFP's protein recommendation as a "minimum". But how much is "too much"? I'm already over (Not by much- only 12) and I haven't even logged snacks or dinner yet. I know I'm still in the "Okay zone" but I'm still curious to know what number I should be looking for in the protein column!

Replies

• bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I have been wondering that same thing! Even having a cup of milk with my cereal adds 8 in my protein!!! It seems everything I eat ends up putting me over!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat my body weight (in grams) of protein everyday. I usually average between 150-200g a day. MFP recommends I get 67g - so I am WAY over their recommendation.
  • tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Unless you have or or prone to kidney disease therer are really no adverse reactions to eating more than the reccomended amounts of protein. With that said I would still try to keep your protein calories at 50% or under of your daily calorie goal. For instance if your cal goal is 1200 then the most protein you would want to eat would be 600 cals worth. If you are using MFP guided goals then more than likely your protein intake is set at about 35% of your calories so going over will not hurt you.
    Hope that helped.
  • Banjolover
    Options
    I have seen the formula of (0.37 X body weight) as a daily minimum for protein. I would guess that if you are doing some serious weight training or a lot of cardio in the Zone 4-5 range, where you might be burning some muscle, you could use some added protein for muscle repair/ regeneration, etc. The body does not really "store" protein, so what it doesn't actually use or need, it tends to dump in the urine..... so there is no point in excessive protein intake. My info comes from the Info-screen at the Health Club (Bally's), so I expect it to be fairly accurate.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I have seen the formula of (0.37 X body weight) as a daily minimum for protein. I would guess that if you are doing some serious weight training or a lot of cardio in the Zone 4-5 range, where you might be burning some muscle, you could use some added protein for muscle repair/ regeneration, etc. The body does not really "store" protein, so what it doesn't actually use or need, it tends to dump in the urine..... so there is no point in excessive protein intake. My info comes from the Info-screen at the Health Club (Bally's), so I expect it to be fairly accurate.

I'd like to see where you get that excess protein is lost in the urine. Macro nutrients (except alcohol) are stored as fat if unused. You do not really loose any in the urine unless you have kidney disease.

That formula is the minimum. The absolute minimum. If you are doing heavy exercises then it becomes 1 gram per pound of body weight,

To the OP: You should be fine as long as you don't exceed the 1.5 gram x body weight as long as you exercise. Just remember, unused protein gets stored as fat.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    theres nothing wrong with going over in your protein or fibre or anything like that, as long as youre not overdoing the calories to get it, in which case it will get laid down as fat like anything else.