Protien Shakes

Options
Captain1118
Captain1118 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I need some advice and help ....
I have been looking into the protien shakes and powders and I still not sold on them. Has anyone out used them and whats ur take away from them
Thanks ☺

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    They are beneficial to reach my protein goal for the day. They are nothing magical, they are to supplement your nutrition, same as a Vitamin. I drink mine after my workout, so I can immediately get protein to my muscles. Or if I need a little extra protein throughout the day.
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use them personally but they should not make up the bulk of your protein. I do the post workout shake also, and one later during the day if its hypertrophy month. But I eat 16 to 20 oz of meat during the day with it.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This time around I haven't used them, yet. That being said my new blender/food processor just came in. I will probably pick some up in the new week to make breakfast smoothies. Sometimes I had them after workouts but most of the time I preferred chocolate milk for that.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nasty by themselves. I do a smoothie most days for breakfast with protein powder in it. But you couldn't pay me to drink a straight protein shake by itself...as long as your getting the daily rec of protein there's no point so don't bother
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    They are just a supplement to help you hit your protein goal if you don't meet your goal through your regular foods, a calorie and cost efficient way but nothing more special than that.

Setting and meeting an appropriate protein goal while losing weight is important, whether that's with or without protein shakes doesn't really matter. Think of your diet as a whole.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I use Premier Protein ready made shakes when I am too busy to eat at work 1-2 times per week. I also use them as a source of protein after exercise if I find that I have no appetite, but want to get some protein in. Otherwise I prefer getting my protein from other sources such as eggs, meat, fish.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use protein powder in my over night oats. But even then i never had an issue with hitting my protein. Use one if you struggle to hit your goals. But nothing special outside of that.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just use it to make sure I hit my protein for the day. And occasionally I use it in some of my baking recipes when I want to try something new.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just like protein shakes. I could probably meet my protein goal without them but I can make a really good one for 250 calories and use it as a dessert.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just like protein shakes. I could probably meet my protein goal without them but I can make a really good one for 250 calories and use it as a dessert.

What brand do you use? I have dymatize and its great but i like options
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I use PEScience snicker doodle because it goes with ANY flavor...I've done pumpkin, peanut butter, chocolate, toffee, coffee, etc.

I also really like the BSN syntha-6 protein powders. They are a little higher in fat/cals but taste better for it :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I use PEScience snicker doodle because it goes with ANY flavor...I've done pumpkin, peanut butter, chocolate, toffee, coffee, etc.

I also really like the BSN syntha-6 protein powders. They are a little higher in fat/cals but taste better for it :)

Sounds amazing!
  • Captain1118
    Captain1118 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone .... I'm really keep alot of information from you guys and its better than just reading the back of the bottle or box
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I order Orgain shakes from Amazon and keep in the fridge. 150 cals, organic, 25 grams protein -- not cheap, but quick. I Drink one every morning before my run to get something in my stomach, then eat a regular breakfast afterwards.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I order Orgain shakes from Amazon and keep in the fridge. 150 cals, organic, 25 grams protein -- not cheap, but quick. I Drink one every morning before my run to get something in my stomach, then eat a regular breakfast afterwards.

What does it matter if it's organic?