Realistic weekly weightloss

Options
mariewhyder
mariewhyder Posts: 11 Member
Before I begin I am a 22 year old who is 5'2 and I currently weigh 170lbs. So I have been working out for 3 months now and I have lost about 10lbs. I seem to be losing around 3/4 of a lb per week. My goal is to lose 1.5 - 2 lbs per week. For around my height and weight, how much do you lose in one week? What is your strategy for losing weight because I think I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for your time!!

Replies

• MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2", I find I need to stay under 1200 cal/day pretty strictly to lose. I also didn't really lose much until I bought a kitchen scale. A lot of packaging is way off on their portion sizes compared to what that volume actually weighs (ie a serving is 3 squares of chocolate for 25 g, but each square is 10 g). Weighing my food has made all the difference!
  • anydaynow0786
    anydaynow0786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your workout or routine - sometimes it can help shift the weight loss up a notch. Also, too much protein reportedly slows down the rate of weight loss. Check your food log for that and cut back even a little and see if it helps. Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you do everything correctly, you can expect to lose up to 1% of your body weight per week. If you aren't happy with your weight loss, you need to tighten up your logging - weigh everything, and log it after you have checked that all the nutritional values are the same as for the item you are eating.

Weight (of water and everything else your body contains) also fluctuates from day to day, so if you weigh yourself weekly, you may see what appears to be a smaller or greater fat loss or even a gain, but if you're doing everything right, just be patient, and don't worry, look at the trend.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    .5 to 1.5% change in BW per week tends to be a reasonable range for most people.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. I wouldn't change a thing.

• LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You have had great results - congratulations!

You mention that you work out but you haven't said anything about your diet. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise will burn calories but it's more for cardiovascular health, stress relief and it may maintain your lean body mass depending what you do. You'll need to count calories and create a calorie deficit if you want to increase your weight loss.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose up to 1% of your body weight per week.

That being said, if you are seeing a downward trend and finding success without killing yourself on a high deficit you should do that.