What is eating clean?

Options
So I have seen this eating clean thing alot and I have no idea what it means. I know that I have to make a life style change as far as my eating goes, but I have such a hard time.

Replies

• vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Usually it means eating unprocessed food, but I haven't done a whole lot of research into it.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    It is just that...its eating non processed food, no refined sugars and nothing with an ingredients list. The only ingredients in the ingredient. So whole foods you put together to make something.

I.E Shrimp and vegetables. Or granola and milk

Books

The best of clean eating
    Now eat this
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You might get several different meanings to this, but mine is...anything as close to nature as possible. Something in its natural state. Like chicken breast, fish, fruits and veggies, beans and some people include milk, yogurt and cheese. Protein powder seems to be on that list too. Hope this helps.

Forgot to add oatmeal, nuts and natural peanut butter. There are several healthy oils too. It might sound like a bland way to go, but there are so many flavorful recipes out there.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    But that sounds like a very difficult lifestyle to have.
    Especially if u are like me and dont know how to cook most foods.. And dont have a clue what "bring it to the boil" means.. (Red it last night on the back of a potato bag)..
    Although i try and do it with salads. Just some cucumber, lettuce and tomato. But there very boring... and its hard to make myself want to eat like that. =[
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    But that sounds like a very difficult lifestyle to have.
    Especially if u are like me and dont know how to cook most foods.. And dont have a clue what "bring it to the boil" means.. (Red it last night on the back of a potato bag)..
    Although i try and do it with salads. Just some cucumber, lettuce and tomato. But there very boring... and its hard to make myself want to eat like that. =[

Actually eating clean is easier than having to actually cook something... Not sure if you like shrimp for example, or fish. You can get pre cooked shrimp warm them in a pan and add a bag of mixed veggies. DONE! You can add spices if you want. So think simple and thats what it is.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I find it very easy to eat clean after almost 2 years of trying different things. I have found a few staple recipes that I have almost everyday. As far as cooking goes, you can make a stirfry out of just about any veggies and add meat, etc. Rice, quinoa, or rice noodles are great for a stirfry too.... most "dinner" meals that would be considered clean are easy enough... lean meat, veggie, salad, starch....

It really simplifies things rather than complicate them. You shop the "perimeter" and avoid anything with ADDITIVES like sodium, etc. If it's frozen read the ingredient list... lots of frozen veggies are still "clean" but they are just frozen... kashi has some really great items too that are as close as you're going to get with a processed food.... I eat lots of raw veggies...

You will seriously feel so much better and you will find that your body responds well... even if you just clean up ONE or TWO meals a day....
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has changed my life, I've only been doing it fir 10 weeks and I will NEVER go back to my old way of eating...I was never a big junk food eater but still drank too much alcohol and with that came all the goodies along with it!! The above post are correct, it is actually easier to eat clean, you don't need to know how to cook, and it isn't boring either, it's like anything, you have to be organized to succeedIt's a bit of trial and error to start with and getting used to it....I had a gorgeous breakfast, low fat cottage cheese, blueberries and maple syrup...it tasted like cheese cake!!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has changed my life, I've only been doing it fir 10 weeks and I will NEVER go back to my old way of eating...I was never a big junk food eater but still drank too much alcohol and with that came all the goodies along with it!! The above post are correct, it is actually easier to eat clean, you don't need to know how to cook, and it isn't boring either, it's like anything, you have to be organized to succeedIt's a bit of trial and error to start with and getting used to it....I had a gorgeous breakfast, low fat cottage cheese, blueberries and maple syrup...it tasted like cheese cake!!

that sounds simply AMAZING!
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    :smile: To learn more about eating clean, there is a book by Tosca Reno titled "Eating Clean Diet" or something very close to that. This book explains it all and has lots of examples. It's a wonderful book! See if you can find it at your local library or simply peruse it at your nearest bookstore.

I've been doing it for close to 7 weeks now, it is something to get used to, but it truly isn't that difficulte and it makes you feel great knowing you are putting good wholesome food into your body!:smile:
  • armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helps a lot, I am going to look for some books

if anyone has some good things that they like to eat and would like to share that would be great too!
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    I first learned about eating clean was a few years ago from Tosca Reno's book "Eating Clean Diet"... basically it's about eating natural/real food (not processed food) and eat small meal throutout the day.