Thoughts on homemade salsas

Options
I like to make salsa on my grill. Usually use a number of tomatoes, peppers, jalapeños, onion, cilantro, and burn most on the grill then blend in the blender. This seems like a really great way to drink some vegetables (homemade v8) and seems to pack a lot of nutrition, but it taste so good I'm suspicious...what say you experts?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder and log the amount you consume.
  • AngeloInTexas
    AngeloInTexas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I plan too, I ordered a scale so I could more accurately gauge just what it is, but seems like a great and delicious secret weapon for weight loss, so long as there isn't some lurking badness I'm not aware of...this the question
  • BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Salsa is awesome.
    Lurking badness? Never.
    Just if you start making salsa with avocado, be careful of the calories!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I like to make salsa on my grill. Usually use a number of tomatoes, peppers, jalapeños, onion, cilantro, and burn most on the grill then blend in the blender. This seems like a really great way to drink some vegetables (homemade v8) and seems to pack a lot of nutrition, but it taste so good I'm suspicious...what say you experts?

As long as the nightshades in the mix does not cause an allergic reaction for you it sounds awesome.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The grill part interests me. Do all salsa recipes have you do this? Or is a certain kind of salsa?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The grill part interests me. Do all salsa recipes have you do this? Or is a certain kind of salsa?

Most salsas aren't cooked, just chopped up, mixed together and eaten.
  • AngeloInTexas
    Options
    In Texas, most salsas are grilled and served hot after blending. This is sometimes referred to as fire roasted and results in a very flavorful salsa. Very simple, recipes vary, but put four or five Roma tomatoes, a hothouse tomato, a bell pepper, one or two jalepenos (seeds or not depending on desired heat), and a quarter onion on the grill for an hour or so until they look like they are melting. Then throw that in blender with one quarter chopped onions and 1/4 head of cilantro and blend and then serve hot...it's what you get in high end TexMex restaurants
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's the chips that do it to you. I make my guacamole the same way, everything charred on the grill.
  • AngeloInTexas
    Options
    Yeah I'm definitely drinking my salsa on the diet, no chips...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yum salsa. You can't go wrong with salsa.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You made it yourself...what badness could possibly be lurking? It's freaking vegetables. And you drink it? You can put it on a salad too you know.
  • AngeloInTexas
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You made it yourself...what badness could possibly be lurking? It's freaking vegetables. And you drink it? You can put it on a salad too you know.

My experience is that it taste too good to be good for me :) I was just wondering if there was some sodium or something negative about it that makes it a bad source for vegetables...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    But...ok
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    In Texas, most salsas are grilled and served hot after blending. This is sometimes referred to as fire roasted and results in a very flavorful salsa. Very simple, recipes vary, but put four or five Roma tomatoes, a hothouse tomato, a bell pepper, one or two jalepenos (seeds or not depending on desired heat), and a quarter onion on the grill for an hour or so until they look like they are melting. Then throw that in blender with one quarter chopped onions and 1/4 head of cilantro and blend and then serve hot...it's what you get in high end TexMex restaurants

My husband makes salsa this way, and it is the best!! But straight drinking it? Sounds like heartburn.
  • AngeloInTexas
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »

My husband makes salsa this way, and it is the best!! But straight drinking it? Sounds like heartburn.

Not a bunch at one time, but like an 8 oz shooter, kinda a homemade V8
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I feel like this may be a dumb question but humor me. Do you put this stuff directly on the grill or on a pan/cooking sheet on the grill? I feel like the tomatoes would disintegrate and slide right through.

(I'd like to try making this.)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I've always made my own (Mexican background). So much better than jarred!
  • AngeloInTexas
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I feel like this may be a dumb question but humor me. Do you put this stuff directly on the grill or on a pan/cooking sheet on the grill? I feel like the tomatoes would disintegrate and slide right through.

(I'd like to try making this.)

Yes. I put it on a disposable foil pan or in a cast iron skillet. I typically cook the vegetables 45 min to an hour, going solely by how they look. The tomatoes should look like they are starting to melt. Then put all that in blender with 1/4 fresh onion and 1/4 fresh cilantro and blend. Let me know how you like my recipe!
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm definitely drinking my salsa on the diet, no chips...

My dad, wayyyyyyyy back when he was in the army, was stationed in Texas. He told a story of how one time when he and his buddies went to Mexico and went to a restaurant... One of the guys had never been to a Mexican restaurant before, guy went to the bathroom and that's when the server brought chips and salsa to their table. Dear old Dad slid the hot salsa over to his buddy's spot. When the guy got back from the bathroom, Dad told him it was his soup.