Lost 9.2 lbs in first 3 week, now I'm at a halt. What gives????

Options
I know that this is typical. The past week I've stopped losing weight. My diary is open. I just bought a scale to start using this week. I do interval running 4 to 5 days a week. My question is how long does this typically last for? It's very discouraging. I have 25 to 30 to lose till I reach my goal weight. I'm also 5ft 1. And started at 159lbs. I can seem to get past 149.8. I'm stuck right now. Yes I know it only been a week , but how much longer till I start to lose again? Thanks for any input. :)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of weight in three weeks, probably a lot of that is fluid, your body is taking time to rehydrate.

It's a week only without loss, don't panic yet and don't let impatience be your undoing.

Assuming your are eating to calories and getting plenty of fluids now...if won't be long before weight loss kicks in, bear in mind that as you don't have a lot to lose...ongoing weight loss will be lower and slower. If you continue to lose at the high rates I would suggest you are not eating sufficient.
  • mpd1009
    mpd1009 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can you look at my diary and tell me if you see any flaws with that? Thanks for your input.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When you start a program, there is a lot of shifting of fluids, muscle glycogen, etc. This can lead to more dramatic changes in scale weight, but are not necessarily reflective of actual fat loss. At your size, progress will be slow. You need to make sure your program is structured properly (macros, calorie goals, activity goals), and then be consistent and patient. I also doubt that your running (unless you are doing 45-60 min a workout) is a big calorie burn, so you also need to focus on boosting your total activity as well.
  • mpd1009
    mpd1009 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm just started what I call running. I brisk walk 3.5 with inlcline and then after few min go to 5.0 which yes isn't that fast but my legs are short and I do that till my body can't take it and go back to 3.5. I'm soaked with sweat at the end of 40 min. In my diary I only apply 30 min of cardio because I don't know how to actually track that. I mean I'm doing what my body will allow me without injury. I haven't done any exercising in probably 6 years. It has only been 3 weeks. I'm trying to build up.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Be patient.

qlzns6ega2jw.jpeg
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Water weight mostly, you need to weigh everything on a scale in g or ml. If you aren't losing then you aren't in a deficit
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mpd1009 wrote: »
    Can you look at my diary and tell me if you see any flaws with that? Thanks for your input.

Increase your calories to at least 1200, I see you eat under and also way over your calorie goals, reduce your deficit to 0.5-1lb if you don't have much to lose. Don't use cups or 'homemade' entries unless it's your own.
  • spivey
    spivey Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The only issue I see with your diary are your caloric goals. I think you are way under eating for your goals and exercise levels. I'm 5'3", same weight as you. I've lost 11lbs since April. My macros are 1615 calories, 160 carbs, 120protein, 55 fat, (comes to 40/30/30 in MFP). I weight lift (Body Beast program) 5 days a week, 20 min of cardio after lifting, and one day of just cardio. Cardio is currently an indoor rowing machine. Go to Facebook, and find/join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/iifymwomenexclusive/ -- Read the pinned posts. Look around, and you'll find some amazing ladies in there.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

This above.

Also, while exercise is one of the best things you can do to improve your health, it only helps a little to build that calorie deficit you need because you would need to run for hours to burn just one of your meals. Most of your caloric deficit will come from your nutrition plan. Also, weight loss is not the same as fat loss. We are made mostly of water and daily or weekly fluctuations in weight are usually related to fluid retention. This can mask some fat loss you might have achieved.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. It will happen all the time. As Dory says: just keep swimming swimming swimming
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I know that this is typical. The past week I've stopped losing weight. My diary is open. I just bought a scale to start using this week. I do interval running 4 to 5 days a week. My question is how long does this typically last for? It's very discouraging. I have 25 to 30 to lose till I reach my goal weight. I'm also 5ft 1. And started at 159lbs. I can seem to get past 149.8. I'm stuck right now. Yes I know it only been a week , but how much longer till I start to lose again? Thanks for any input. :)
    Sweetie, you've answered your own question. Educate yourself on this process by reading the sticky posts (again) at the top of this forum. They will answer your questions and more. With only 25 to lose, you'll lose on average .5-1.0 lb per week. So you've already lost 9 weeks worth of weight! A week without a loss is not a long time. It's normal. That's what is meant by "Weight loss is not linear." It doesn't go in a straight line. You might sometimes go 2 or 3 weeks without a loss on the scales. Sometimes you might fluctuate UP. Just accept that you're normal and stick to your plan and keep going.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm just started what I call running. I brisk walk 3.5 with inlcline and then after few min go to 5.0 which yes isn't that fast but my legs are short and I do that till my body can't take it and go back to 3.5. I'm soaked with sweat at the end of 40 min. In my diary I only apply 30 min of cardio because I don't know how to actually track that. I mean I'm doing what my body will allow me without injury. I haven't done any exercising in probably 6 years. It has only been 3 weeks. I'm trying to build up.

Starting a new exercise routine can cause your body to hold onto a little extra water weight for a while (for muscle repair), and that water weight can mask fat loss. But your fat loss will outpace the water weight in a while, so patience will get you there.

Other possible causes of temporary water weight increase: Higher-than-normal sodium consumption (even if it's still a healthy level, higher-than-normal carb consumption (ditto), time of month for women (can happen anywhere from ovulation through menses), new exercise/muscle repair, among others.

Whatever you do, don't stop drinking water: It actually helps shed the water weight, counter-intuitively enough.

And +1 to the people suggesting you set your weight loss rate to a lower amount, when you have relatively little to lose. You don't want to lose any more than the absolute minimum of lean body mass (such as muscle) along the way - doing so can reduce your basal metabolic rate (BMR, your calorie burn from "just being alive"), and make you less healthy, not to mention less strong.