Pregnant..but don't want to gain to much

Options
So I just found out I was pregnant two weeks ago. This is my second baby so of course this time I want to do it differently. One thing I want to do differently is my weight I put on during this pregnancy. Any advice?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby!!

You should really ask your doctor.
  • Argyle_slayer
    Argyle_slayer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've been losing weight, feeling great and then bam! Pregnant! This is my third and I don't want to gain the 60-70 pounds I did with my first 2. Most doctors feel that if u are already obese that it's fine to just gain around 10 pounds which is what I'm aiming for. I haven't talked to my OB yet (I'm only 6 weeks along) so I don't have her opinion yet but most of my "Google" research states 11-20 pounds is fine and healthy as long long as u are getting the nutrients you need. I've upped MFP goal to maintenance level for the first trimester and am having trouble meeting those calorie requirements
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    A question for a medical proffesional not random strangers on an internet site
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 1/2 weeks along! No real advice as this is my first (eek!), but add me if you'd like and we can be preggo buddies!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor but a healthy weight gain in pregnancy is counted as 21 -28lbs.
    For my first pregnancy I gained closer to 30lbs and it was hard to shift. Second time around I was more careful (didn't give in to the urge to eat Cadbury chocolate buttons a day Creme Eggs!), gained 21lbs and it came off fairly quickly/easily.

It was a long time ago mind you! But I'm sure the weight gain ideals haven't changed...
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Recommended weight gain varies depending on starting weight. Some OBs are more particular about weight gain than others so it might depend on your doctor too. It's best to speak to your personal doctor for yourself.
    That being said, Congratulations! I am almost 11 weeks with my second and doing my best to manage weight as well. Eat healthy and keep up with your exercise so long as you feel up to it.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant and I understand your feelings. Part of this question is entirely dependent upon your current weight profile. For example, I was still overweight (but not obese) when I got pregnant, but because I was still overweight, my doctor recommended a small scale of gain. So I'm on target to put on 12 - 15 pounds which is working out wonderfully for me.

Most literature recommends a weight gain of anywhere from 12 -40 pounds for women while pregnant, this depends on your current stature of course. If you are already within bodyweight goal, your body just may need the nutrients in a higher level of gain.

More than tracking weight and being weight conscious, maybe look to healthfully increasing nutrient intake.

Most literature supports a 300 calorie daily intake surplus once you are pregnant.

I would worry at most about getting my multivitamins in, eating a balanced meal of protein, carbs and fats that would mostly be chosen from as fresh as possible food.

I myself, chose to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables for my carbs, and supplement with some fat (veggie dips or butter with steam). But to be frankly honest, that's what I'm craving, I haven't had any weird food cravings.....yet.

Hope this helps. But honestly, this is a conversation to have with your OBGYN because they will see your baby, you and can give you a better snapshot of what you need to do to ensure the heathiest outcome possible.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Im on the same boat , dont want to gain 50 like my previous preg. Therefore im eating healthy and moving so far into my 2 nd trimester this week and im happy to say maintained my weight during my 1st trimester ... I googled they said u really shouldnt gain much first trimester .. The pounds should startbcoming on 2nd and 3rd. .. Good luck