When you workout as soon as you wake up

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
I know myself well enough to know I simply will not workout once I get home from work. However, I will wake up a bit early to workout. My problem is that I'm then working out on an empty stomach and then I get crazy hungry afterwards. I work a 12 hour shift, so I wake up to workout at 4:30 and don't get home until 8. So how do I eat early enough to workout, without over eating through the day?

Replies

• tjwolf13
    tjwolf13 Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't do that myself, but I know people who do, and they have a liquid breakfast before their workout. You coulld try a protein shake or something beforehand.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym at 4:30 in the morning and then have a protein shake as soon as I get home. I then eat breakfast 30 minutes later. I can not eat before working out.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I eat a hard boiled egg and a couple grapes on the way to the gym in the morning. Gives me some protein and a little sugar to get through the workout with out extreme hunger afterwards.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I usually eat nothing or just a piece of string cheese. Then like another poster said I have a protein shake right after, then breakfast a bit after that.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym at 5:45 or 6:00 am, right after waking up. I don't eat before or for an hour or so after my workout. I don't think it's a good idea to do what I am doing but it works for me.

When I used to wake up at 5:30 am to run, I would eat a Cliff mini bar--about 100 calories. If you go over by 100 calories on a day where you work out (and burn a few hundred calories) you are probably not going to slow your progress.

I am thinking one of those 90-100 calorie protein shakes right after working out would do the trick.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I drink an EAS protein shake (chocolate) right after I work out and it really helps.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    If I remember correctly it's more important to eat after your workout than before. Half an hour after working out is ideal ... your body is more likely to use it to build muscle.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    If I feel I need to eat before a morning workout, I'll eat something like a banana to give me a few carbs to get going.
  • Shineonme06
    Shineonme06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5:30 in the morning. Before I go to the gym. I drink water only. After workouts (about an 1hr after). I have a protein shake(GNC lean) . But if you are so hungry in the morning when you wake up; than means you didn't eat enough the day before.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you are jumping out of bed dressed in your workout clothes and immediately hopping on a piece of equipment next to the bed, you should be able to eat something before exercising. It's not like you have to "wait an hour before going swimming". You grab a small snack, then get your clothes on, do whatever, and you should be ready to go.