Microgynon 30

Options
Hi, I have been really considering coming off this pill Microgynon 30 for a while now.
When i went on it 4 years ago i was 10st, and at 5ft8 this was a good weight to be. Over the course of 4 years i have gained 5 stone and nothing changed in my diet or exercise regimen at all apart from beginning this pill.
I exercise daily, eat very very healthily and after about 10lbs or so i stop.... and cannot lose anymore weight. Have been doing some research and many people say that coming off the pill helps them to lose weight and regulate themselves properly within a matter of months. I know that you are supposed to "give your body a break" after 5 years or so of being on the pill, but i really want to stop it,, continue with my diet and exercise regimen and see if the pill is a contributing factor.
Any advice, success stories or experiences with the pill....

All comments appreciated
=)

Replies

• monicabellini
    Options
    I had a similar experience with microgynon. I gained 42 pounds- it also made me feel so low that I comfort ate and always felt hungry. Some doctors are not sympathetic and deny any side effects, but I would recommend talking to a sensitive professional about alternatives. I have a hormone free copper based coil which is fantastic, however, it depends on you and your body and personal circumstances. x.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    hi, i was one of the lucky ones i think, i was on this for 10 years and never had a weight gain or problem losing weight which i did extremely too well and went far too low, the pill never effected me for weight at all, hope you find what works
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    I gained 30lbs on microgynon. Since then I have switched to the implant (progesterone only), and losing has been a lot easier :) xx
  • atachauer
    atachauer Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have been on Microgynon 30 since 2004 and I too think it could be the cause of some weight gain, there are lots of alternatives available that I am considering, the IUS Mirena or the Impalon implant maybe. I'd like to be able to 'forget' about birth control and be assured that I am protected yet both the alternatives have a much, much lower dose of hormones and is released directly into your bloodstream. Pills have a much higher dose as they are digested and absorbed into the bloodstream, but some of the hormone leaves the body in urine- and is a waste! So maybe talk to a doctor or a pharmacist and see what they say...
    Good luck x
  • cazzaisdabest
    cazzaisdabest Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    han182 Did you lose any when you switched from microgynon to the implant?
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a latex allergy, condoms are your friend!! You can use them for birth control (and obviously protection against STD/STI).

I say unless it is helping you with some kind of really bad PMT symptoms, get off it for a bit, give your body a chance and see what happens!