How to calculate calories burned cycling uphill?

Options
This is the cycling trip I took today: https://www.strava.com/segments/673790

I am a male and my weight is 68 kilos. The trip took me about 20 minutes. Im very new to this and any help is much appreciated. Hope I came to the right place :smile:

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calculate no - far too many variables.
    Strava gives a calorie estimate so why not use that?

Looks like a tough climb.
  • swakki
    swakki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Calculate no - far too many variables.
    Strava gives a calorie estimate so why not use that?

Looks like a tough climb.

I added a new workout to see if I it could calculate it for me. Is it an option to edit the steepness? Or is it a way to just mark that ive cycled that segment?
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    No, not technically. Strava doesn't really like that since they use segments for athletes to complete with each other and it would be a easy way to cook the books to give runners/cyclist KOMs they didn't earn.

Like sij mentioned there are too many variables. Your heart rate, BMI, Cadence, wind resistance, rolling resistance (tire pressure, worn bearings, dry chain)....
  • swakki
    swakki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    No, not technically. Strava doesn't really like that since they use segments for athletes to complete with each other and it would be a easy way to cook the books to give runners/cyclist KOMs they didn't earn.

Like sij mentioned there are too many variables. Your heart rate, BMI, Cadence, wind resistance, rolling resistance (tire pressure, worn bearings, dry chain)....

I see. You couldnt give it a guess either? Just an estimate. BMI is 22.72 if its any help
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    If you used Stava it will give an estimate.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would say about 150-190 calories. But that's just strictly a guess. There are way to many factors that play it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Strava knows far more about you, the gradient, your bike than random strangers or MyFitnessPal.

I actually find Strava estimates tend to be a bit on the low side, convenient though.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My husband uses Strava, and we've found that the Strava calorie estimates are pretty good.

Their route elevation estimates, on the other hand, need to be taken with a tiny grain of salt at times. On Sunday, we rode a route that Google maps says has an elevation gain of 85 metres (it's a pretty flat route). Strava tells us it's about 260 metres ... yeah, no. It's possible Google's 85 metres might be low, but 260 metres is stretching it a bit.

Anyway, the way my routes go ... what goes up must come down again. So while I might burn extra calories going up, I'm not burning all that much on the descent. I figure it all averages out. :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    But why only bike for 20 minutes and why just uphill? Ride longer. After climbing enjoy the downhill. It's a great reward.. And really accuracy of workout calories are not really important if weight loss is continuing and fitness is building.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Their route elevation estimates, on the other hand, need to be taken with a tiny grain of salt at times. On Sunday, we rode a route that Google maps says has an elevation gain of 85 metres (it's a pretty flat route). Strava tells us it's about 260 metres ... yeah, no. It's possible Google's 85 metres might be low, but 260 metres is stretching it a bit.

Definitely. There are articles on this! Iirc strava uses GPS elevation, if you track varies a little bit, it adds a lot of elevation.