Easy Chickpea Recipes? Help!!

Options
tarynannemfp
tarynannemfp Posts: 17 Member
I'm looking for any recipes with chickpeas as the main ingredient. Send some recipes my way!!

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I make a curry that's literally just a can of chickpeas, a can of crushed tomatoes, and a few spoonfuls of madras curry paste. I just heat it up in a pot and pour it over rice. If you have the time, simmering it improves the flavours, but it's still tasty if you don't.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I usually make chickpeas from dried beans, but do use the canned ones from time to time. I like to add a can of diced chilis, garlic, lemon or lime juice, and a little salt. I'll eat this as is, or put into a salad or veggie bowl. The chilis give it a little punch!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tonight I ate mine with a little yogurt, sliced cucumber, and topped the dish with hemp seeds and parmesan cheese.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/chickpea-saute-with-greek-yogurt-recipe.html
    Here is a recipe for sauteed chic peas with yogurt:
    To combat chickpea fatigue, Yotam Ottolenghi chef and author of Plenty created this reimagined take on a vegetarian classic, a humble preparation of sautéed chickpeas. His Chickpea Sauté with Greek Yogurt incorporates flavors that are both expected—garlic and cilantro—and entirely new—caraway and mint.

This lively combination, along with a generous squeeze of lemon juice (don't be shy, the acidity really makes the dish) works to elevate the chickpeas into something unexpectedly delicious and satisfying. Each bite of chickpeas brings bursts of fresh herbs and pops of caraway.
    The finishing touch is a few spoonfuls of thick Greek yogurt enriched with olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. The yogurt works as both a condiment and a sauce, coating the chickpeas and accentuating their lemony character.

This recipe can be made with canned or dried chickpeas but if time allows, go with dry. They keep an almost meaty bite and have a much heartier texture than their sometimes mushy canned counterparts.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Mash up the chick peas. Stir in low cal mayo, mustard & pickle relish. Use as sandwich filling- kinda tastes like egg salad sandwiches.
  • aspire2lift
    aspire2lift Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Looking for ideas... Thanks!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    chickpea salad with feta cheese is my go to in the summer.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are chocolate chip cookie- like recipes that use no oil or flour- chick peas are the base. If you do this, make sure you have people to share with- so good that I over-ate these today. Google recipes online.

For savory, maybe a nice baked falafel recipe? You could have a salad base, and top with falafel and a nice yogurt-based sauce and maybe a little pita
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My very favorite chickpea recipe came from PCRM's Vegan Kickstart, and it's one of the few recipes that carried over into my normal life. I just eat them by the handful, and even my 2 year old loved them.

Baked Marinated Chickpeas

Makes 2 servings

2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    2 1/2 teaspoons tamari (or just regular soy sauce)
    1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped (fresh is definitely the way to go)
    1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix ingredients in a bowl and lay out on sheet. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, tossing chickpeas once or twice during baking, until the marinade is almost absorbed. Don’t let dry out, remove from the oven when still a little moist. (These are meant to still be tender, not crunchy). Serve warm for appetizers or at room temperature for snacks.

Note: These chickpeas make a sensational topper for salads, pasta dishes, soups, and stir-fries. Also, leftovers can be lightly mashed with condiments for a sandwich spread, or whizzed in a mini-food processor with lemon juice, garlic, and tahini for a chunkier hummus! (Idk about any of this)

Per 1-cup serving:
    Calories: 285
    Fat: 4.3 g
    Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
    Calories from Fat: 12.5
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Protein: 15 g
    Carbohydrates: 48 g
    Sugar: 3 g
    Fiber: 10.2 g
    Sodium: 432 mcg
    Calcium: 86 mg
    Iron: 5 mg
    Vitamin C: 2.2 mcg
    Beta Carotene: 29 mcg
    Vitamin E: 0.6 mg
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This recipe is one of my faves that has Chickpeas. It's creamy and crunchy and so filling and full of flavour! And no dairy or gluten http://minimalistbaker.com/garlicky-kale-salad-with-crispy-chickpeas/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Budgetbytes has a great collection of chickpea recipes that are super easy.
    Budgetbytes - chickpea recipes

• DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like turning them into a salad with sliced green pepper, sliced pepperocini, sliced olives, cucumber, maybe some tomato, artichoke hearts and/or feta. Dress it up with some balsamic vinegar, a touch of olive oil and some lemon juice.