Measurable goals, ideal weight

Options
SCoil123
SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
Since this recently came up for me in a discussion here and in my real life I thought I'd ask our community and give the question its own thread.

What is your weight loss goal? Is it a range? A set number? Or maybe a pant size?

I have one friend who lost weight with me the first time who doesn't own a scale. As long as her favorite size 6 jeans fit she is happy and at goal. For me I have a range I want to keep my weight in. With a history of binging and bulimia this works better for me because my goal is to not go over or under for better health. I'm curious on other mfp members thoughts on this and what your goal is.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    It's some feelings and some health markers, in truth. But, having reached a weight where how I feel (energy, reduced joint pain, that sort of thing) is where I want it, and where my health markers (blood lipids, blood pressure, etc.) are solidly in the normal range, I'm using a weight range as a more trackable stand-in for those, in maintenance.

Feelings are slow to change (and bad things can creep in so slowly one may not notice). Blood tests are only every 6 months or so. I can weigh myself daily, and use the weight as a surrogate marker to keep things where I want them. So, day-to-day, I'm using final goal weight plus or minus 3 pounds.

If there's a change in feelings or test results, I can adjust the goal weight any time.

Other than not wanting to change clothing sizes constantly (I hate to shop), I don't care what size I wear. And appearance is just not a big thing, for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My goal is to lose the fat that is stretching out my stomach skin. Whether that ends up being at my current weight (148--I'm recomping right now) or another weight, I don't really care. I'm at a healthy weight and have a good strength/muscle base and am, overall, pretty healthy. My only trouble spot is that skin and the fat that is lining it. The rest of my body I'm fine with (though I'll still work on building muscle. )
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At the moment, my goal is about the middle of the healthy BMI for my height. When I reach it, I'll decide if I want to lose more. And I'll have a +/- 5 pound maintenance buffer, so if I stick to my current goal of 135, I'll be looking at anywhere in the 130s.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My goal weight is mid 130s. Or a size 4/26 waist (US sizing). I'd also like to work on getting my body fat to 25% or 23%, and at that point I wouldn't worry as much about scale weight. (Edited to add: I'm 5'7 for reference)

For me the clothing size matters just as much mentally as the scale number. Maybe even more so. I just want to be an insanely normal size so that I can shop wherever I want. And I want to make sure I maintain in that size. I don't want to have to keep so many sizes around for when I'm having off days or whatever.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is mid 130s. Or a size 4/26 waist (US sizing). I'd also like to work on getting my body fat to 25% or 23%, and at that point I wouldn't worry as much about scale weight.

For me the clothing size matters just as much mentally as the scale number. Maybe even more so. I just want to be an insanely normal size so that I can shop wherever I want. And I want to make sure I maintain in that size. I don't want to have to keep so many sizes around for when I'm having off days or whatever.

Those are all great goals and sound very obtainable. I like being a normal size too. It maked shopping easier and more fun. My goal range puts me in a size 8 pant and 6 dress. I'm wearing sweats until I get back there lol. I refuse to replace my old chubby clothes.
  • FitVegetarian14516
    FitVegetarian14516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 154 pounds and I'd like to be 125 +/- a couple of pounds for maintenance. I believe I can do it since I have already lost 34 pounds.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". I started out at 240 lbs and with a BMI over 40. I'm now down to 158.2 lbs and a BMI of 28. My first goal is to reach a normal BMI, which would have me at 140 lbs. At that point I'll reevaluate, but I'm imagining my ultimate goal will be a staying in the range between 125 and 130 lbs, or somewhere in the middle of the normal BMI range.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have an ideal goal of 21-22%BF and 22-23 BMI. This might be very lofty of me. I'm at about 30%BF and 26.1 BMI right now. If I maintain the muscle I have, more or less, and lose 23 more lbs of fat, that's about where I'll be. I started at about 38.7 BMI and 50%BF.