Question about eating...

Options
So, in reviewing my calorie and food logs, I noticed I tend to relatively "overeat" one day (not like I used to, still staying under 2000 calories), and then still feel stuffed the next day, and severely under eat.

I'm losing weight, I feel better everyday, just wondering if anyone else does this? Or wondering if this could negatively impact my mentality about losing weight, because of the stuffed feeling I'm still indulging in?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you like eating like that, then it's no problem.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I eat like you do!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Look at your weekly calories then. Isn't this basically what intermitten fasting does? Eat low one day and maintenance another? As long as the calories at the end of the week are on point I would think you are fine.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You're basically binging then restricting your calories (even if it's not on purpose). I feel like that's not really a way to form good habits. Why do you tend to overeat?
  • staindgal
    staindgal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just averaged out my calories for the last 3 weeks, and I'm between 1200-1300 calories daily. So I guess that part makes sense to me...

I'm more interested in the psychological effect of still allowing myself to feel "stuffed," when gluttony (crazy, terrible gluttony!) has been such a part of my weight problem. Granted, I'm not eating to my past levels of feeling stuffed, but I still feel not so great after eating more than usual some days. In the long run, I tend to like that feeling, because it usually exists as a full feeling well through the next day and helps me cut calories there.

Granted, I used to eat till I felt uncomfortable every day, so I guess 1-2 times a week with a much lower calorie load is an improvement... Just wondering if it could impact my weight loss mentality over time.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Staindgal, check out Dr. David Ludwig's book "Always Hungry?". It will help you understand that cycle and how to break it. It helped me tremendously.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    staindgal wrote: »
    I just averaged out my calories for the last 3 weeks, and I'm between 1200-1300 calories daily. So I guess that part makes sense to me...

I'm more interested in the psychological effect of still allowing myself to feel "stuffed," when gluttony (crazy, terrible gluttony!) has been such a part of my weight problem. Granted, I'm not eating to my past levels of feeling stuffed, but I still feel not so great after eating more than usual some days. In the long run, I tend to like that feeling, because it usually exists as a full feeling well through the next day and helps me cut calories there.

Granted, I used to eat till I felt uncomfortable every day, so I guess 1-2 times a week with a much lower calorie load is an improvement... Just wondering if it could impact my weight loss mentality over time.
    Well you've gotten way better than you were before, you'll just continue improving from here. Now that I think about it, a lot of people on this website bank their calories (as in don't eat as much one day and save those calories for another). That's practically what you're doing. If you really feel bad about the way you're eating, that could impact your weight loss mentality. If you really don't like just eating 1200-1300 everyday, then think of it as banking your calories :smile:
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Eating more one day and less the other is just fine; it's the binging aspect that is troublesome. Figuring out why or what triggers eating like that is what you need to figure out. I would recommend a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Insight is power.
  • staindgal
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Eating more one day and less the other is just fine; it's the binging aspect that is troublesome. Figuring out why or what triggers eating like that is what you need to figure out. I would recommend a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Insight is power.

I hadn't considered that... Thank you for the idea!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    so what you're saying is, you eat 1200, 1200, 1200, 2000, 800, 1200, 1200. Something like that?

In my experience, if instead you ate 1300 every day, just for instance, you might not have that urge to binge once a week or whatever. Or maybe you'd have less of an urge to binge. I'll admit, I have days where I eat more than average, but they're planned days where I've been on purpose "saving up for" a holiday dinner or birthday. "Unplanned" binges always make me ask myself why I did it, and how I can recognize it next time before I eat more than I'd planned to.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    So, in reviewing my calorie and food logs, I noticed I tend to relatively "overeat" one day (not like I used to, still staying under 2000 calories), and then still feel stuffed the next day, and severely under eat.

I'm losing weight, I feel better everyday, just wondering if anyone else does this? Or wondering if this could negatively impact my mentality about losing weight, because of the stuffed feeling I'm still indulging in?

Any thoughts?

You said you're losing weight and feel better everyday. Bravo. Don't look for problems where there are none.
    And overeating but still staying under 2000 calories does not classify as a binge, and don't let anyone tell you it does.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like feeling full and I'm a happier person that day and the next so I plan for it. I save calories for the weekend so I can have a 2200 day. A few days a week I skip breakfast so I can have an 800 calorie lunch and that very full feeling again. Small meals and I'm chasing my hunger all day but a few large ones and I'm stuffed and warm and life is good. I don't think what I'm doing is damaging or binging at all. It's all in how you perceive it.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

You said you're losing weight and feel better everyday. Bravo. Don't look for problems where there are none.
    And overeating but still staying under 2000 calories does not classify as a binge, and don't let anyone tell you it does.

I agree with this post. This doesn't sound like unhealthy thinking toward food. You aren't even eating 2000 calories.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Eat how you can maintain for life. For me intermittent fasting is an easy way to live so far. It seems to be the only way for me after 20 years of trying everything else. No rules just do what works for you
  • staindgal
    Options
    Thank you everyone... I appreciate your help! :)
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I do that, but it's because some days, I'm just not hungry and other days, I am ravenous. For the last couple days, I've eaten far less than I'm supposed to, so at the end of the day, the site won't post my food diary results -- but I've not been feeling well, so it punishes me. Ridiculous.

However, starting today, I want to start really trying to balance my carbs with my proteins. I wonder if that will help keep my hunger/non-hunger in check.