Help!

Options
I have my goals set at 55g of Carbs which is 20%,110 g of Protein which is 40%,49 g of fat which is 40% ,So I'm tracking all of my food.....I've had 9 grams of carbs today and my Macros is telling me that my toal carb percentage is 21%, which is over by 1 %, now how can that be? Is something set up wrong or backwards?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's saying out of what you've consumed up to this point that those 9 grams make up 21%. As you log more food, the percentage will change as your calories consumed goes up.
  • BlondeAmbition2013
    BlondeAmbition2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged my dinner yet, I added like a 1/2 cup of corn, just to see what would happen and that raised that 21% even more
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged my dinner yet, I added like a 1/2 cup of corn, just to see what would happen and that raised that 21% even more

Of course it did; corn is a grain and carb heavy.
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2016
    Options

No surprise. Corn is a carb and adding more carbs to your day is going to increase the % of carbs that makes up your caloriees. Add some nuts (fat) or protein if you want to see the carb % decrease.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Are you telling me your freaking out over a 1% discrepancy? I think you may need some more carbs..your just not your self.
  • BlondeAmbition2013
    BlondeAmbition2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So how can I stay within the 20% range when I have 46g of carbs left, I guess that what I'm not understanding
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The numbers will be skewed until you've logged all your food for the day. If you're focusing on grams of carbs, then just ignore the percentage that you're seeing.

~Lyssa
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So how can I stay within the 20% range when I have 46g of carbs left, I guess that what I'm not understanding

Log the rest of your food for the day and it'll make more sense.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

Until your finished logging for the day, take the % displayed with a grain of salt. It will change with each food added.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Have you logged ALL of your food for the day? If not, you're just seeing the percentage of your current intake. At the end of the day/once you've logged all your food, THEN look at your macros and see how you're doing.

~Lyssa

This
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Eat your 46 grams of carbs and fill in the rest of your calories with fat and protein. The percentages will balance out.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    May I also suggest spending some time researching your choice of diet? For me, low carb wouldn't work, so I don't do it. I like carbs and I can lose weight while consuming them, and I don't feel hungry with them, so for me it works fine to just eat in a calorie deficit. If you want to eat low carb, there's nothing wrong with that, but maybe take a look online for some low carb ideas.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I have my goals set at 55g of Carbs which is 20%,110 g of Protein which is 40%,49 g of fat which is 40% ,So I'm tracking all of my food.....I've had 9 grams of carbs today and my Macros is telling me that my toal carb percentage is 21%, which is over by 1 %, now how can that be? Is something set up wrong or backwards?
    That chart is a running total. It lets you look and say "hmm, I'm a little behind on protein so I need to eat a little more my next meal so that it will bring my macro balance back to where I want it to be."

Lets say you enter breakfast. If the first item that you enter is 90% protein then the pie chart will say that you're at 90% protein because that's all you've entered so far. As you enter more food, the pie chart will add that info into the pie chart to show you the percentages of what you've entered. At the end of the day, once you've entered everything, you can see your final macro percentage split for that day.

Don't get caught up in trying to hit the percentages exactly. Use the gram amounts as a daily goal to reach and use the pie chart to see how your macro balance is going as you progress through, and at the end of, the day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is why most of us log all of our food the night before -- it gives a good overall picture.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Something that noone's mentioned yet: The database entries are largely generated by users and many of them are faulty.
    Since I'm guessing most people who use MFP are mostly or exclusively worried about calories, they may not input all the rest of the information, or double check that it is correct, when they enter a new food. This is a particular problem with regards to micronutrients (as this info often has to be found elsewhere, it's not often written on food packets), but I've seen plenty of entries that have ridiculous numbers for macros compared to the calorie content as well.

Anyway, I agree wtih others that your problem is most likely just that you didn't complete your logging yet, but it's also worth checking the database entries you are using for accuracy.