my fitness pal and pregnancy

Options
so... I just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant! i have been following my fitness pal for about 3 weeks and doing really well so far. I am not sure what to do now!

I don't want to limit my calories too much! I am not going to be in to see my dr for a couple weeks to ask what I should do. I am overweight already, so I don't want to "eat everything in sight"... it would sure be nice if I had a baseline to try for? Add a certain amount to my daily goal?

Any insight?

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    First congrats....
    speak to your ob at your first appt but i think it is perfectly "healthy" to track your calories in and calories burned here.....BUT you have to do it based on your dr's recomendations....set your goals to maintain and follow the calorie limits the dr gives you....good luck maintaining and growing that baby....again congrats...
  • jenikahula
    Options
    Congratulations!
    During both of my pregnancies, I gained 30 lbs. I lost 40 lbs after my first baby and lost 30 after my second.
    The things you see in movies and read in the magazines aren't really true. Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you're all of a sudden craving everything in sight. Sure, every woman is different but you can still follow the same concept: everything in moderation. While you don't want to restrict your calories, you also don't want to gain too much weight while pregnant. During your monthly check ups you'll be weighed, and if you gain too much too fast, your doctor will talk to you about controlling that.

On another note: be careful you don't fall in the mindset that just because you're pregnant you're justified to eat a ton of food for the next 8 months. Because the sad truth is: once that baby is out- you're the one that's gonna be stuck with all the extra weight. And after having the baby- you're really gonna desire to lose weight. :)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Pretty sure most doctors tell you not to lose weight while you are pregnant. In the first weeks you really don't need to consume that much over your regular daily limit. So I would say to switch your calories to maintenance and then don't fuss if you go a little over. But I am sure you could ask you doctor how much you should be eating before you even have a checkup. The doc can tell you over the phone I'm sure :) Congrats!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Please be sure to take your prenatal vitamins, I can't tell you how important it is in the very early stages.
    I'd set my callories to maintenance level, you need to nourish you body now that you have a little life to support.
    Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months :flowerforyou:
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My OB told me every time I was pregnant not to go below 1500 cal a day, that will be different for everyone i suppose but I was so overweight they didn't want me to gain more than 10-15 lbs with each one. 2 of my pregnancies i gained 50+ and 2 only 10... the 2 where I gained only 10lbs were the easiest to lose, but my toughest time was right after the birth, that's when intake mattered most for me.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure most doctors tell you not to lose weight while you are pregnant. In the first weeks you really don't need to consume that much over your regular daily limit. So I would say to switch your calories to maintenance and then don't fuss if you go a little over. But I am sure you could ask you doctor how much you should be eating before you even have a checkup. The doc can tell you over the phone I'm sure :) Congrats!

that is the absolute best thing about this site...it's not just about losing weight...it's about changing how you live your life so that you can be healthier in the long run...well that is how i see it now anyway....so following a plan given by the dr here is a perfect mix of everything...you get the support from other like minded people striving to live their lives the healthy way and definitely suggest getting with that pregnancy thread....that will be a wealth of help....
  • BeatnikKeri
    Options
    Well Congrats! I am 16 weeks preggo myself! with baby #2... And what I have learned is as long as you eat healthy snacks and meals you will be fine.... cut out deep fried nastyness, and sugar! I got a book when I was pregnant the first time and it's my bible for eating healthy pregnant and I live by their non-pregnant book... it's called 'Skinny ***** Bun in the Oven'... don't be deterred by the name it's not about getting skinny while pregnant it's about getting healthy! It's definitely a great go to!
  • calari
    calari Posts: 5
    Options
    You should try the Pregnancy Fit Kit - that's what I use. It's a prenatal / postpartum exercise program that comes complete with all the necessary (and comfortable) workout accessories. My friend recommended it to me and it is awesome! Their website is http://www.PregnancyFitKit.com - Good luck!