is swimming good enough?

Options
I used to rotate cardio (running or spinning) and weight lifting (which I dread) , but because it is cold outside and the new spin times aren't good for me I have switched to just swimming laps for 30 min or so a day. I know that amount of time is too short, but if I up it to an hour, do you think that is enough exercise? It is just soo much more fun that running on a treadmill. Plus I can see it adding definition to my arms. Just not sure if it could count towards weights? There is the resistance of the water afterall...:wink:
What do you guys think?

Replies

• crazybigchick
    Options
    I used to rotate cardio (running or spinning) and weight lifting (which I dread) , but because it is cold outside and the new spin times aren't good for me I have switched to just swimming laps for 30 min or so a day. I know that amount of time is too short, but if I up it to an hour, do you think that is enough exercise? It is just soo much more fun that running on a treadmill. Plus I can see it adding definition to my arms. Just not sure if it could count towards weights? There is the resistance of the water afterall...:wink:
    What do you guys think?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Swimming is incredible exercise because it uses pretty much every muscle group you have. However its a good idea to switch things up occasionally or else your body gets used to the action you're doing. You'll still lose, but not as fast as if you cross train.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    if you can find yourself some paddles.(those webbed gloves). i find that they really help push the water harder, of course you go faster but if you really concentrate on your push .. it will had resistance..

i find that i definitly have more definitly in my arms and shoulders..
  • xrunner99x
    Options
    swimming is a great way to exercise!
    it is one of the activities that burns the most calories per hour.
    30 minutes is already a good amount of time, just go on how your body feels.
    maybe swim and few times a week and add in other activities so you wont get bored?
    good luck (:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Agree with Msarro. Mix it up if you can. So many differant ways to mix it up in swimming alone. First off you have the 4 differant competitive strokes, you can use a paddle board(kick board) and kick for 10 minutes of your 30. You can do the same with a pull buoy so you are only using your arms.

The workout itself though would count as swimming not weights.