How many calories do chicken wings actually have?

Options
I can't find any reliable source that will give me an estimate on actual values for wings WITH BONE.

Every single source on the internet only has values for the meat once the bone is removed.
If I weigh 500g (4-5oz) of wings, about 300g of those are just going to be uneaten bone, so the MFP "288cal/100g" measure would be absurd when applied to it (It'd mean 1000Cal for like 4 oven-fried wings).

Replies

• jessdvr1
    jessdvr1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bit of a hassle but you could weigh the chicken + bones before you eat it, then weigh the bones after and go on the difference.
  • IonBubbles
    IonBubbles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of work to do every time I eat chicken wings
    I was hoping there 'd be like an average or something
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just googled "how many calories in baked chicken wings bone-in" and came up with this:
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/chicken-wing-roasted-broiled-or-baked-skin-eaten

I'm sure some of the other links that google shows would have it in grams
  • IonBubbles
    IonBubbles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I saw that too. But it's a bit ambiguous as to what "Small" means. I was hoping for a grams measurement, like "For every 100g of wing there's X amount of actual meat"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    IonBubbles wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that too. But it's a bit ambiguous as to what "Small" means. I was hoping for a grams measurement, like "For every 100g of wing there's X amount of actual meat"

Well it will depend on how fat your chicken is too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Either log the wings with the whole weight or log just the chicken meat. You're already cleaning the meat off the bone anyway. It's not that much more effort to weigh the bones after.
  • AngeloInTexas
    AngeloInTexas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think there is so much variance in they are breaded and type of oil they are fried in that it's just going to depend...make them yourself one time and measure all the ingredients maybe?
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    here is one with grams
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-roasted-chicken-wing-with-skin_f-ZmlkPTEyMzcyOA.html

(I just added "in grams" to my original search).
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like those Tyson buffalo wings you can microwave. I've always guessed three pieces was a serving. I was so sad when I weighed them before, then weighed the Bones afterwards. A serving and a half.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    jessdvr1 wrote: »
    Bit of a hassle but you could weigh the chicken + bones before you eat it, then weigh the bones after and go on the difference.
    zyxst wrote: »
    Either log the wings with the whole weight or log just the chicken meat. You're already cleaning the meat off the bone anyway. It's not that much more effort to weigh the bones after.

Yup, I weigh the bones after and subtract them. It's just one more weigh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weigh the wings out...eat the wings...go weigh the bones afterwards and take the difference...not that hard.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to weigh the bones then either buy boneless wings or strip the meat from the bones and weigh it.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Except I have seen some giant wings and some that are regular and even very small ones. An average could be way off calorie wise.