Black beans

Options
Petrim77
Petrim77 Posts: 20 Member
Hi, I have been told black beans are good for you and are filling, does anybody have a good salad recipe that they could share? :)

Replies

• ClarissaMcDaniel
    ClarissaMcDaniel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Rinse a serving of black beans. Put the beans in a skillet over medium heat. Add a serving of MorningStar Veggie Crumbles. Season with cilantro, cumin, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat, stirring occassionally, until warm. Pour over a bed of mixed greens or spinach. Add guacamole or avocado as a "dressing" if you like.
  • aleryan1
    aleryan1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been dying to try this recipe. Some people replace the couscous with quinoa. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/169253/mayan-couscous/
  • Petrim77
    Petrim77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will try these
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've tried alertan1's recipe (with quinoa). It is delicious, hot or cold.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This is by far my favorite!

COWBOY CAVIAR

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together and pour over the following ingredients and stir to combine:

1 can black beans, drained
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped
  • AnjiDD
    AnjiDD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I roast cubed sweet potatoes, corn and red onion in the oven at 400, then mix with a drained can of black beans, chopped bell peppers, 1/2 cup cilantro, a little chopped green onion, then toss with dressing made of lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, chili powder and smoke paprika. Yummy side dish, dip or put on top of BBQ
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat drained & rinsed black beans with rice. I've been looking for other ways to use them too.

I did make brownies out of black beans. They weren't terrible, but the recipe I used needs some adjustments. Mainly they needed more sweetness.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Similar to the cowboy caviar above, but I like lime vinaigrette - Olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, red onion, garlic, cumin, S&P, and a little honey if it's too tart.

And not a salad, but I like to top baked potatoes (and sweet potatoes) with seasoned black beans, salsa, and sour cream. Filling enough to be a whole meal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This is by far my favorite!

COWBOY CAVIAR

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together and pour over the following ingredients and stir to combine:

1 can black beans, drained
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped

This is similar to my "salad of goodness", but I skip the oil, add bell pepper, cilantro, feta cheese, and lime juice, and use red onion instead of green.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I love the sweet potato and black bean combo. Bake the sweet potato in the oven for extra flavor vs. The microwave. For the black beans I first saute onion, jalepeno, cumin and Adobe seasoning. Add in the drained and rinsed beans along with chicken or vegetable stock and simmer for at least ten minutes. Longer if ypu can. Mash some of the beans with potato masher or food processor. Layer beans and sweet potato on tortillas or by itself. Salsa, sour cream, avocado and cilantro make great toppings. I've substituted butternut squash for the sweet potato and that was good too.
  • kush_xo
    kush_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is what I always do

1 can of black beans rinsed
    1 can of chickpeas rinsed
    1 handful of parsley
    Half of an English cucumber diced
    2 tomatoes diced
    1 can of chuck tuna in water
    1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup of white vinegar
    1 tbsp salt

Mix in a big bowl and you can eat this for 2 to 3 days. It's a huge salad packed with protein and fibre. And the complex carbs from the beans keep you feeling full.

• kush_xo
    kush_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can always make black beam burgers or chickpea burgers or a mix of both
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ok, it's not a salad...but still!

super easy black bean burgers:

1 can of black beans (around 540 grams)
    1 shallot chopped finely
    1 clove of garlic chopped finely
    1/4 cup of ground flax seeds
    1/4 cup of quick oats
    1 table spoon of Miso paste
    1/4 cup of water
    seasoning (I prefer Mexican seasoning)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mash the black beans and mix every thing together, form patties and throw them in a sizzling pan. This makes 4 reasonably large patties.

I eat a plant based/vegan diet and these are my go to vegan burgers!
  • alayneb123
    alayneb123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    2 cans of Black beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 100 grams of corn, 50 grams of diced celery, 1/2 pack low sodium taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing.

Made this last week hot originally but it was even better chilled.

I'm SO going to make this!