Probiotics... to take or not to take ??

Options
I went to GNC yesterday to get my vitamin packs and was recommended probiotics. I can already tell a difference :-) I didn't even know what probiotics were until yesterday... so, for anyone who knows anything about them; are they 'smart' to take?? I know these GNC guys work on commission, so it's hard to know if they're always legit or not. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Vanessa

Replies

• mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love probiotics. They reduce stomach bloat and aid digestion. Very beneficial.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I started taking probiotics when I switched to a high fiber diet. They worked amazingly on the bloating, and I didn't get sick all winter long. Apparently, the good bacteria also stays in your gut and fights off whatever doesn't belong there. it was my nutritionist who recommended them.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Which vitamins did you get??
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are bacteria. They are the good guys though. They build up your gut flora to help you fight off illness, keep your bad bacteria in check and under control, as well as many other things. They are commonly found in yogurt but if you don't eat yogurt the supplements are good in their place. Whenever you have to go on antibiotics it's important to either eat yogurt or take the supplements because it kills good and bad bacteria indescriminately.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I love them.. My digestion has changed so much as I've entered my 40's. It got even worse when I started dieting/changing up my diet.
    If you're prone to stomach issues (either constipation or diarrhea), bloating, yeast infections, they really seem to help. You can get them at any drug store..don't need to go to GNC to get them.
    I'd rather take a pill than down those yogurts advertised on TV. Most of them are full of sugar.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I take them everyday and have for months :)
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    Good idea! They help a lot. Especially with the GI system!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a bottle from the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday. It has a multi-purpose, so I'm excited. I've heard it has even helped some people with their acid reflux. Others take them when off a medication. Sounds good to me.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    nevermind :love:
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Women's Ultra Mega Active (Vitapaks), Grapefruit Seed capsules, and Waterex. I love the vitapaks they have! I'm taking the Grapefruit Seed and Waterex to help with water retention (I have edema).
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    I have taken probiotics for many years. After the dr's tried giving me EVERY acid reflux medication and NOTHING was working. I did my own research online and found that probiotics and digestive enzymes were great recommendations. I still take both and it's helped me tremendously!

I will only take these probiotics because they're live and you have to keep them in the fridge.......http://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-flora-critical-care-50-billion.html

I will only take these digestive enzymes.....because they are the BEST! http://www.enzymedica.com/products/Digest
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options

Women's Ultra Mega Active (Vitapaks), Grapefruit Seed capsules, and Waterex. I love the vitapaks they have! I'm taking the Grapefruit Seed and Waterex to help with water retention (I have edema).

Thank you!