Feelong stuck........

Options
Hello all. So i have been using this app for six months and am very grateful to have lost 31 pounds. However, for the last couple of weeks I have not made any progress and it is really getting to me. I continue to do things as i have done; log all my food, weigh everything when I am home, never finish a meal with i am out (even try to over estimate the calories), try not to eat out much, and exercise 5-6 days a week. I a have been watching my macro's more often and making the needed changes. I am also going to switch up my exerciser routine. I was using the elliptical and recumbent bike in coordination with a standing abs workout. Now I'm going to move over to the kettle ball workouts. I'm just very frustrated and not sure what the bleep to do so that i can continue my weight loss.
Any advice would be awesome!!!!

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Keep believing! If you are sure you are still doing the same as you were when you were losing, and it has only been a couple of weeks I would give it another couple. I am 10 days into a stall, but I know (!) it will suddenly go again like it has before and the average loss I am seeing is still on target each month.

It is demoralising, I know, but stick in there.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!! Update your goals so MFP can recalculate the appropriate calories for your current weight. Otherwise, just keep doing what you are doing. As much as we want to see changes every week on the scale, weight loss just isn't linear.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Looks like we've covered a few of these already, but you might find some ideas here:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Especially if you are changing exercise programs. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When you're at a sticking point, focus on tightening up your nutrition and exercise. Be sure to measure your portions and weigh your proteins. Also, push yourself in your workouts. If that doesn't do the trick, then you'll have to make an adjustment to either adding in some high intensity cardio intervals (sports research says this is the best form of cardio for weight loss) and/or changing your calorie intake.

If you're working hard and you're already at the low end of the calorie intake spectrum (~1200 cal/day), then you should put your fat loss goal on pause and do a reverse diet to get your metabolism back up. This is the slow addition of calories into your diet to get your maintenance intake up to the point where you can do an effective body fat cut again. It stinks, but this is focusing on long-term results. If you have questions about this, let me know. I'm working an RD myself right now and have helped other people do it effectively too.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you right now, except I haven't lost since January. I know that I'm just having too many "what the hell" type days. It's on me and I know exactly what I'm doing wrong. I'm just not finding the motivation right now.

I've been at this for 2+ years. I've been through ruts before. The best thing to do (and I'm mostly talking to myself right now), is to get really strict for a few weeks and see if anything changes. If nothing changes after 2-3 weeks, it's time to recalculate your goals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit. Weight 2 weeks to see if any "wooshes" occur but if not, reduce your intake.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Also might add that if you arent taking body measurements, you should start. Sometimes water weight can mask scale losses. So your weight may be stuck, but you could be still losing inches that the scale isnt showing because of water retention.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit. Weight 2 weeks to see if any "wooshes" occur but if not, reduce your intake.

Awful spelling on my behalf. *Wait
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Now you are 31lbs lighter doing what has worked so far may need to change. Your calories should be less than before. Has MFP changed them?

Your exercise intensity or time needs to increase as with the weight gone you are burning less calories. I notice than my usual 20 minute walk is now consistently a 17 minute walk as I am fitter and lighter and walk faster-so now I walk further.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Change it up. I got to 26 lbs down and got stuck. I joined a bootcamp and have changed my diet. Next 6lbs down in the past 3 weeks. 2 things out of my diet now are any grains, and all dairy. Seems to have boosted my loss. I'm sticking with this to see where it goes, but you may want to try something similar. Shed one or the other, and change out dairy fat for nuts/seeds. As with any of my suggestions, it's completely my opinion, and I'll get slammed for it, but it seems to work for me currently.