Whey protein

Options
Hey guys, keep seeing "whey protein shake" on peoples diaries and just wondered what is is and what it does? Do you only need it if your doing lots of high impact exercise, does it help you lose weight, is it a meal replacement??? I might sound a bit dumb asking this but just curious (and also wondered if Im missing out haha) xxx

Eills x

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people use it to get more protein. I drink it only after strength-training, I heard it was good for the muscles. Some people might use them as a meal replacement, but I don't. I like to eat my calories:happy:
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes!

I drink them for a variety of reasons .... they are (obviously) full of protein and help me reach my protein goals. I love the taste. It's an easy choice on the run. Protein helps repair muscle so it's a good choice after a workout.

Also, protein when you're losing weight, combined with exercise, keeps you from losing muscle and helps you lose fat.

You can find protein anywhere. I think the best ones are "Whey Protein Isolate." It's superior to other proteins. My choice for taste and to keep my sugar and carbs down is "Nature's Best Zero Carb Whey Protein Isolate." I get it in 7 pound containers from www.dpsnutritions.com

Good luck. Wishing you well!
  • eills44
    eills44 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks guys, when I am able to start exercising more then I might give it a try xx
  • MissNombril
    Options
    Only a convenience when you can't eat "real" food.

It's anyway much better to eat eggs white or tuna or chicken than drinking this.

But it's useful sometimes... essentially if you have a fitness training routine and an associated diet (as in this case you don't eat the same way).
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use it after my strength training also. I find it VERY hard to eat 27g protein worth of chicken after a hard workout but an 8oz shake for around 110 calories is no problem. LIke others said, it feeds your muscles and helps to repair them as well. I have found my shakes very beneficial. I use Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate (Isolates give you basically only protein so the calorie count is lower - ie not a meal replacement)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This comes up so often, that I decide to write up a blog post about it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taso42/view/whey-protein-101-120880
  • eills44
    eills44 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks, just had a look at the blog, explains in great detail x Thanks again x
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you look up exactly what it is, it sounds pretty disgusting (it's made from cheese), but as long as you get a good brand that isn't on Consumer Report's ****list for having heavy metals in them (I'd stay away from Myoplex and Muscle Milk personally. Plus I think they're overpriced), then it's a good way to increase your protein intake.
  • GregCrowder
    GregCrowder Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to make sure I get a good balance of Protein on my eating plan so I have a protein shake to make sure that I do use all my Protein.
    I follow a 40% carb 30% Protein and 30% fat eating program.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For after workout protein, try low fat choc milk. Cant beat the taste or the price. and it does the same as whey powder on a slightly smaller scale. My brother swears by it and he body builds (I trust that he doesnt want to lose muscle after work out). Works for him.
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning Monday to Friday after the gym.

I know i shouldnt but i kind of have it for breakfast. The one i have is Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavour :-) Its got about 45g of protein and i dont feel hungry till lunch time if i have that!