Tips for gaining weight when I'm currently underweight?

I'm a beginner at exercising. I'm a girl and weigh 105 pounds (underweight), but my goal is to weigh around 120 pounds. I'm sure my body fat percentage is somewhat higher than average. I want to eat more and build muscle through exercise, but will losing fat and gaining muscle make me look even more bony? My goal is to not look so bony, but also look better. Is that possible?

Replies

• dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    If you're eating at a surplus and working out you will probably gain 50/50 fat and muscle which is fine because you are underweight. You should take your measurements and find out you body fat percentage because it is never safe to assume. If you want to be 120 pounds and lean then you will have to gain more than that and then shred the extra pounds off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    labnikki wrote: »
    I'm a beginner at exercising. I'm a girl and weigh 105 pounds (underweight), but my goal is to weigh around 120 pounds. I'm sure my body fat percentage is somewhat higher than average. I want to eat more and build muscle through exercise, but will losing fat and gaining muscle make me look even more bony? My goal is to not look so bony, but also look better. Is that possible?

Its possible to gain a little muscle while losing fat but it will take years and you would stay the same weight.

When you gain weight, as a women its going to be 25% muscle and the reaminder fat. Do to this, you bulk passed your goal weight and cut back.

All of this should be done in conjunction with a solid lifting routine.
  • Spontaneously
    Spontaneously Posts: 36 Member
    Hey @labnikki,

Something that I've done recently is looked at my food logs to find all of the days were I ate at or above my caloric goal, then wrote the observations in a Word document. Mine's gonna go on the fridge for reference. I noticed that I was relying on desserts and candy a lot to get calories in the smallest packages, but also doing some things aside from the actual chewing and swallowing that have helped.

Here's some ideas:

• Have a change in regular routine: distractions, travel, meet with friends, wake up early, stress, chores.
    • Try for more protein and less sugar (my goal is <40% of total calories, <30% is a victory.)
    • Something sweet/munchie food 1-2x a day: doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, cheesecake...
    • Some veggies, sometimes fruit.
    • Burritos containing beans are easy to nuke and high protein
    • Deli cuts meats and cheese
    • Cheese containing appetizers esp. midday. Frozen appetizers are a staple right now.
    • Fried foods
    • Eat out, and/or with other people, especially those who eat more than you.
    • Go shopping, use restaurants, freezer meals and appetizers and delis. Someone else does the cooking.
    • Buy from bulk sections and food bars where you can try small amounts of stuff with little pressure and get more if it works.
    • Snack on grains – popcorn, chex mix, chips, cereal, pancakes
    • Eggs (hardboiled from deli section are convenient)
    • Pasta/rice, potatoes (fried, mashed, baked)
    • Cereal/oatmeal
    • Buttered bread/ French toast/ biscuit. Try as much butter as you can, and use it for sandwiches too.

There's a lot of processed and individual portions of foods in my pantry right now, and I feel that helps to create less food waste when the appetite is low. If you feel alright about eating occasional low calorie stuff, then trying to get fruit or veggies in there even just once a day will help the digestive "flow". I feel a difference with as little as .5 cup.

Good luck out there.
  • labnikki
    labnikki Posts: 2 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    When you gain weight, as a women its going to be 25% muscle and the reaminder fat. Do to this, you bulk passed your goal weight and cut back.

How much should I bulk past my goal weight before I cut back?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    labnikki wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

How much should I bulk past my goal weight before I cut back?

I would bulk at least 3 months but it depends on how your body responds to the training stimuli and how you look.. if you are new, you have greater potential to gain a few lbs of extra muscle. So personally, i woulf go until i was getting a bit unhappy with my body but no less than 3 months. But since your end state is 120 and lean you might want to bulk to 130, slow cut and then do another cycle to achieve the body you want.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Calculate TDEE. Eat TDEE+250 calories for +0.5lbs per week or TDEE+500 calories for +1lb per week. Consistency is king. Lift while you do this for most of the surplus calories to go into building muscles (a good lifting program like Strong Curves is important).
  • meesamagill
    meesamagill Posts: 1 Member
    Eat a big breakfast and good sized lunch and dinner and snack throughout the day to ensure you are getting enough calories. I've struggled to put on weight for years but since getting this app I've finally managed to gain and maintain extra lbs. Things such as nuts are very good at getting extra calories on board because I want to gain weight in a healthy way not just loading up on junk. Good luck. Everybody on here will give great tips and advice so something should work for you. Also consider how active you are. I hadn't realised how many calories I was burning just in my work role alone!! Adjust calorie intake according to how active you are
  • nwhite16
    nwhite16 Posts: 17 Member
    Just increase the volume of what you're eating now. Nuts oats bananas milk salmon eggs ect keep it clean to get lean weight