I want to be a runner! Help

Options
So i'm still pretty overweight and running is definitely challenging for me. I can't run more then 45seconds with out getting tired. But even though I can't doesn't mean I don't want to. I would LOVE to be a runner and just put my head phones on and run and relieve stress. But idk even how to start to build up the strength to go more than 45 seconds. Should i just run for as long as i can (45sec) and stop and try going longer the next day or walk till i magically start to run or do i need to just keep walking till I get thinner. Any Advice??? I really want to do this. I just don't know how.=]

Replies

• fatherdowling
    fatherdowling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    C25K !! aka Couch to 5K.

I use the iphone app but there are podcasts and a lot of people on here do the program.

I'm not a runner at all but I'm finding to easy to follow and build my stamina.

http://www.c25k.com/
  • Runningmemaw
    Runningmemaw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Google c25k.. It is an amazing program that helps non runners become runners at their own pace. I used it 3 years ago and now I can even say I've run a full marathon. I had to stop running last October due to a non- running injury but plan on using the program again as soon as the dr. Releases mr to run again.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You should check out Couch 2 5K. You should be able to google it. It's supposed to help everyone start running and lots of people love it.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    C25K also It's Couch to 5 K. Starts off with a 5 min warm up then you do 8 sets of 60 sec run (jogs) with 90 sec walks in between teh runs. and works you up.

If you can do 45 sec. tehn do 45 secs walk briskly until you recover and then run again.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Yup, Couch 2 5k. Even as an athlete growing up, I hated running. Once I got back into the gym I started with that program. Week by week. If you struggle with a week, repeat it. Running is a mind game, too. Don't let yourself quit.
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight first. Just run for as long as you can, walk until you have caught your breath then run again. Just build it up slowly - start by going out for 10 - 15 minutes and add a few minutes every time you go. And remember, speed is not your friend when you're a beginner runner, just do what you can! I'd start with 2 - 3 times a week and build from there.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Definitely a vote for Couch to 5K. The original program can be found at www.coolrunning.com. I am currently on Week 1 Day 2 and at 250 lbs (or thereabouts) I really didn't think I could do it, but I can and am and I am sure you can too. It is a nine week program, but you only need to move on to the next week when you are happy you can do the one you are currently on.

I use RunKeeper Pro on my iPhone to track the runs and measure the intervals. It works really well.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight first. Just run for as long as you can, walk until you have caught your breath then run again. Just build it up slowly - start by going out for 10 - 15 minutes and add a few minutes every time you go. And remember, speed is not your friend when you're a beginner runner, just do what you can! I'd start with 2 - 3 times a week and build from there.

I agree with this 100%
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    def try the c25k it sounds gr8, im going to start it this week.x
  • LynM
    LynM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can start with intervals (Gymboss makes an interval timer that beeps or vibrates). Start with intervals running 30s and walking for 1 min for 20 mins and build from there. Some marathoners go 26 miles using this technique.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    hi, looks like we have the same goals i love to run a few years back i was running regulary at the gym on the treadmill but stopped going to the gym and gained abt 60lbs to make a long story short i put my head back in the game and was looking for a way to get back into runing, i came cross this link it maybe what yr looking for to get started in running its called the "couch to 5k in 9 weeks" challenge.

im already into my 6th wk and this past friday i ran at 3.5 for 27 min without stopping ,this link will help you gradually build up speed it allows you to jog/walk and is doable if i can do this at 241lbs so can you, here is the link. good luck and keep me posted on yr progress.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the majority of people. C25K is the way to go.

I'm doing C25K at the moment training for a 5k in August.
  • meowmx
    meowmx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Running is great for the body and the mind! I would suggest trying intervals of running/walking, maybe run for 30 to 45 seconds (at a comfortable pace) followed by 1 to 2 minutes of walking for the duration of your workout. You could gradually increase the amount of time you run as you build up endurance over time. I never used it but I've heard that the Couch to 5k program is great for beginner runners...good luck! :happy:
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just to add a non-web based option for those who despise web based options (sorry, I don't do aps and podcasts), my wife and I are using beginners plan from "The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running and Fitness" by Fred Lebow, et al. We're just starting but used it very successfully a few years ago. You could get this book at the library and copy pp. 3 - 12 (Chapter 1, For Beginners...the 10 week plan is on pp. 3 - 6).
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So i'm still pretty overweight and running is definitely challenging for me. I can't run more then 45seconds with out getting tired. But even though I can't doesn't mean I don't want to. I would LOVE to be a runner and just put my head phones on and run and relieve stress. But idk even how to start to build up the strength to go more than 45 seconds. Should i just run for as long as i can (45sec) and stop and try going longer the next day or walk till i magically start to run or do i need to just keep walking till I get thinner. Any Advice??? I really want to do this. I just don't know how.=]

I started walking in may/june and I had a lot of injuries (shin splints) and I got a good pair of running shoes (advice 1). I signed up for nike+ and with a shoe sensor and my ipod, i kept tracking my distance:time. I managed to walk a mile in the beginning and don't let anyone get to you. I tried nike's walk to run program but joints couldn't take it, so I kept walking. As of today, I did my personal best of 13.11 miles, or half a marathon. I am recovering in bed, typing this message. So, you can do it.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi! Definitely try Couch to 5k. I completed it in March and am now training for a half marathon!

I started the program at 258 lbs, so it can be done. :)
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Consider a heart rate monitor. You can get one for under $50 at Wmart. All you have to do is stay in your heart rate zone for 20 minutes or more during each work out. For you the target is 100 beats per minute (50%) to 170 BPM (85%). I think it is better than C25K because it keeps you at your precise fitness level. I used the below method from the AHA and now I can run 3 miles in 30 minutes.

When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.