Hurdles

Options
My hurdles that I need help getting over:
Time: I have a demanding career, mentally and physically and emotionally (veterinarian) in which my schedule changes on a day to day basis (on call). So I have a hard time scheduling workouts and don't have a consistent time everyday. Any suggestions? That don't involve me getting a new job because I actually do love it.

Energy: I'm not a morning person. My greatest energy time of the day is late morning to early afternoon (which is when I'm at work) and the energy at the end of the day varies depending on how the day went. Any good ways to boost energy naturally?

Diet: I'm a certified emotional eater and a boredom eater and have very little will power. Also, my meal times vary day to day depending on the schedule. I do keep healthy snacks (fruits, yogurt, nuts) available in my truck at all times but if I'm stressed out I will choose chocolate over these 90% of the time. I've attempted the freezer meals and it works great until I run out or forget to defrost something or don't get home until 9. Any good ideas on being consistent?

Any other life hacks? I don't have any friends that I can keep a schedule with besides logging in here, so accountability buddies/motivators welcome.

Thanks

Replies

• Believeinme35
    Believeinme35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I totally feel your pain. I'm a stay at home mom with a husband who works 14 hour night shifts 6 days a week. I actually work harder now than I did when I had a job. Sleep? What sleep? I just try to keep up with my 1200 calories a day and formulate my meals around my workouts. I stand more than I sit... So much until when I do eat the kids ask me to sit down. I don't have much advice other than to continue to PUSH. (Pray Until Something Happens). Just wanted to drop in to let you know that there is another buddy out here struggling alongside you. Best wishes. ☺️
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm retired from the medical field so I can relate. I loved my job too so I understand you not wanting to give it up. You don't have to! There's NO reason you can't do this with your current job! I'll try to address each issue.

Workouts: There's no rule you have to work out in the morning. There's no rule you have to work out for 30, 45, 60 minutes at a time! ANYTHING you can fit in helps. Maybe it's a walk at lunch, maybe it's some stretches before bed (Yoga stretches are very relaxing and can help you fall asleep), maybe it's just a couple minutes running in place during a commercial while watching TV...the point is...it can be ANYTHING that fits into YOUR life. That's better than nothing. You are already an active person because of your job so you aren't a sedentary person.

Energy: Are you eating enough protein? If you need an energy boost, try a protein shake or bar. Simply Protein bars are good. Their low in calories, fat and sugar but high in protein and fiber.

Diet: I'm an emotional eater too. I also have a sweet tooth and I'm a chocoholic! I plan a chocolate treat in my day (at the end) to help me stay on track. If I go off track...I don't get the treat. I look forward to that treat SO much, it REALLY helps me stay in control! It's one of the first things I write in my food diary and plan around it! LOL They also have cocoa covered almonds. My emotional eating seems to be more in control since I'm not preventing myself from my "treats". My sweet tooth isn't as bad either, of course, I stopped drinking diet sodas and all artificial sweeteners because these can make you crave sugar. But I have 2 pieces of dark chocolate in the freezer. I know it's there. I haven't craved it. But if I DID NEED something, 2 pieces is not out of control. I take it you're single since you mentioned all the frozen dinners. You could keep some stuff on hand for those instances you don't have those dinners. There are healthy sandwiches, healthy soups, frozen chicken strips, frozen vegetables, frozen fruit (make sure there's no sugar), if you DO cook a little...use a crockpot, if not...here's a simple go to meal...

Canned diced tomatoes. (I go with these Mexican-style lime and cilantro ones; I use two cans of diced tomatoes, though they are a little smaller than the cans of beans.)
    Canned red/chili/pinto beans/etc. (I like these Southwestern-style beans, which also throw in some corn and diced onion.)
    Canned black beans.
    Chili powder.
    Like any soup, you can, of course, include other ingredients and seasoning to taste. If I've got it around, I'll occasionally pour a little beer in the chili (you'll just have to simmer a little longer to cook out some of that extra liquid), and I also like my chili spicy, so I'll sometimes add a little hot sauce to the mix. But the basic, three-can chili above (okay, it's four cans, but three kinds of cans) creates an excellent base chili you can either enjoy on its own or jazz up with some ideas of your own, and it takes no time to prepare.

Open the cans.
    Dump them in a pot.
    Season with chili powder and other seasoning to taste.
    Make it hot.
    Doesn't get much easier than that.

I hope some of this help!!! Keep telling yourself YOU CAN DO THIS because I have faith in you!!! You can feel free to add me as a friend if you want.