Weight gain instead of loss

Options
I've gained 25 lbs this year. During the ear, I've done weight watchers, HIIT, and have been keep tabs on everything that I eat. Also, this all started when my GP upped my antidepressant by 20mg at the very beginning. I need answers as to why my body is inflating like a balloon, and I am suspicious of the drugs going through my system...

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400880/Why-Do-Antidepressants-Cause-Weight-Gain.html
    Conversely, he says that one of the antidepressants that seems most likely to cause weight gain is Paxil, an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). Of the other SSRIs, which include Prozac, Lexapro and Celexa, Zoloft may be least likely to cause weight gain. No one knows for sure why antidepressants do this.
  • htrw92
    htrw92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Celexa, but it hasn't helped me with my depressive state in a while. I'm just lost.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    follow the chart. weigh your food on a scale.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Put some exercise into your daily routine.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    htrw92 wrote: »
    I've gained 25 lbs this year. During the ear, I've done weight watchers, HIIT, and have been keep tabs on everything that I eat. Also, this all started when my GP upped my antidepressant by 20mg at the very beginning. I need answers as to why my body is inflating like a balloon, and I am suspicious of the drugs going through my system...

Many medicines will increase your appetite, Celexa is one of them. Accept your personal responsibility: you are eating more calories that you are burning. Weigh your food in grams, even the prepackaged single servings, use accurate MFP entries, and log everything. Incorporate any exercise into your daily activities -- not only for physical health but also mental health.
    htrw92 wrote: »
    I'm taking Celexa, but it hasn't helped me with my depressive state in a while. I'm just lost.

There are so many options out there. You shouldn't be suffering. You might consider finding a psychiatrist who specializes in these meds instead of a GP.

• i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Give LCHF or Keto a try. It works wonders. I don't count calories and my workouts throughout the week aren't too strenuous to make much difference. I have lost 10kg (22lbs) since the beginning of the year (probably would be more but I have put on muscle) just by following a higher fat, moderate protein and lower carb diet. I have basically eliminated sugar from my diet. In essence this is the process:

1. Eat less carbs means less insulin. Insulin is the fat storing hormone.
    2. More fat means full longer which in essence means I naturally eat less calories than if I was constantly eating carbs.

That's pretty much it. CICO doesn't really work for many people and low fat is absolutely the wrong advice to follow. Weight watchers is highly processed food and full of sugar.

Read up here and make up your own mind on your diet.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i6shot must have shares in keto diets. The link is obviously very biased and the diet is hard to keep long term. It will work but it's not for the majority of people.
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm living a keto life as well, but kindly disagree with i6shot. Even on keto, you can gain weight (a caloric deficit has to be maintained). Plus, as scoii mentioned, it's not for everyone. I chose this option because it's what works for me. Find what works for you and do that option. Have you been logging the entire time? Do you mind sharing your diary so others can get more information and provide some input? Best of luck to you.