Two Workouts in One Day?

Options
So I was wondering if anyone had any good information about any advantages/drawbacks of workout out twice in one day. On days I have off work, I can fit in a session before breakfast early in the morning, and then one session in the evening. It's not something I'd do more than once a week.

I've read a few articles stating the benefits of fasted cardio in the morning, and, working out in the morning 'burns your fat stores', etc etc. But some of it reads like complete nonsense. I've never been one to workout either in the morning or evening because one is better than the other, I just fit it in where I can, but on days where I could get a workout done in the morning and then do my evening one... Is there any substantial benefits? And if there is, is doing it once a week even enough to get those benefits?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    During my peak running mileage weeks, I will regularly run morning and night.

As for "working out in the morning burns you're fat stores". If it sounds like nonsense, it most likely is. I'm not an expert though.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any information which claims advantage or disadvantage of 2 week outs per day over the same number of work outs spread out through a week.

But, I would say that if this is the only way you can fit your work-outs into your week then go for it. Common sense would also dictate that you're careful about which body areas or types of work-outs that you back to back (I wouldn't for example train legs twice in one day or follow a morning session of running with an afternoon session of squats).

You may want to experiment with cycling your calories to give you more food on your double work out days at the expense of your rest days?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is none sense.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I do 2-a-days when I'm off work to supplement my regular routine. Like this morning I'm about to go hit Tri's and Calves and later this afternoon I'll go back and hit some Chest and Quads. You just have to make sure your not over-training by eating enough calories in between workouts to support the additional workload.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I regularly do two workouts a day on the 3 days I finish work at 2pm - I enjoy it and I have the time to do them.

My a.m's are all about lifting and then running but my afternoon workouts are fast paced walks which are so enjoyable.

Do what works for your schedule and what you enjoy :smile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As long as you set the program up intelligently you can work out twice in one day.

Fasted cardio vs fed cardio won't make or break your fat loss efforts. If one of the two options allows better performance, go with that one by all means. The differences in long term fat loss between the two are negligible.
  • ellarishee
    ellarishee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys.. I'd say I'll start incorporating a 2-a-day every now and then - it's nice to feel as though you're getting a little bit more from the day when you have the extra time on your hands for once!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to run twice a day but I'll often do a run and then do some other kind of exercise (either a dumbbell weights session or some yoga) later than day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Timing and fat burning efficacy aside, I have trained twice or even three times a day. The later session might not be at 100% effort but it beats sitting on the couch.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I guess you could give it a go and see how you find it personally, as everyone likes different things.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I regularly do two to three exercise/sports sessions in a day, cos i have the food will-power of 10 things with no will-power.

Most of sessions are side-by-side but occasionally they're split, usually a different sport but not always. Do whatever works for you and your timescales. It might take a while for your body to get used to it though.

for instance, I:

walk 30 mins every weekday at lunch, then do a sport after work on 3/4 days:
    45 min pt session then go straight for a 20 min lurch on the treadmill or 45 min swim drills; or
    45 min swim or run, 3 hrs roller derby; or
    2 hrs roller derby, 1 hour yoga;
    spinning or bodypump, run or swim.

weekend:
    1.5hr karate session (run 20 mins to and from), then do the bloody food shopping which is basically 3 mile tab half weighted; or
    day of mtb, yoga; or very occasionally
    2 karate sessions in 1 day (3 hours! horrific but necessary), 1 hour yoga (I do feel like death next day: today to be precise).

My husband is trying to get me to start fencing too. Possibly sports overkill.

Your body can take more than you think, just ease into it so you don't overdo it and get disheartened, or worse injured. If it wasn't possible, dua- and triathlons wouldn't exist.

You'd think I'd look like a proverbial god and be superfit. I'm not. I rarely get injured but mostly cos I don't push too hard, I do ALL this for FUN. Keep that in mind when it seems difficult to do 2 sessions in one day, if it's hard just slow down, lighten the weights and concentrate on a minute part of what you're doing, posture, breathing something that you might miss when you're pushing to obtain whatever goal it is you're going for. Doing something is better than sitting on your rear doing nothing. I always think if it's difficult and I don't want to do it anymore, i'm doing it wrong.

don't do it wrong ;)
    Hope that helps
  • jkane101
    jkane101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cycle in the morning, very brisk walk in the evening...on the weekends
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I currently lift or do crossfit routine in AM and do cardio in PM every week day and rest weekends.
  • Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    light in the morning and gym in the evening