Need weight loss advice

Options
Hi all I'm Dave. I am currently stuck at my weight and cannot shift it.

I am a very active bloke (I cycle commute to work everyday around 7 miles) and watch what I eat. I use my fitness pal to log my food and exercise and I always eat around 1250 calories per day. So why with all the above can I not shift any weight. I am constantly stuck at around 17st.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• rachealjane24
    rachealjane24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. 1200 is for a sedentary lifestyle.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you logging properly with electric scales?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

The answer to "I'm not losing weight" is NEVER "you're not eating enough".

First, the healthy minimum for a male is 1500.

Second - are you weighing and logging your food or just guestimating? You would be shocked at how many calories you could really be eating.
  • dave_hoe
    dave_hoe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    but surely if my calories allowance still has calories to use then this should mean I will lose weight? So with me burning around 1000 calories per day how many calories should I be eating and what can I eat to get to that figure as my usual daily food intake is as follows.

For breakfast I have a lean bacon sandwich with whole meal bread. A fresh chicken salad for lunch and then steamed chicken and potatoes or some other healthy cooked meal for dinner.

I do not snack before bed either.

Where am I going wrong.

Please help?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    Why not open your diary? Maybe there's something odd going on there.

Other than that: for how long have you been trying? Keen in mind that eating 500kcal less on a day doesn't mean the scale magically shows 71 grams less the next day. Water retention plays a big role, especially if you changed your workout routine, waste products, etc.
  • dave_hoe
    dave_hoe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    xWondertje wrote: »
    There's no such thing as "I'm not losing weight because I'm not eating enough", that's just a myth that really needs to die and be buried forever.

The most likely culprit: you're eating more than you think. If you're not logging everything correctly, including dressings, butter/spreads, oils you cook in and such - you're probably eating more than you think. Best would be to keep a rigourous diet journal for a few days/a week and see from there where to go.

Also, if you're using MFP to calculate the amount of calories you burn during exercise - it's wise to know that MFP is notoriously known for giving way too high numbers, and you probably shouldn't eat all of those calories back.

The thing is I eat around 1200 - 1250 kcal per day and my usual daily exercise tally is around 900-1000kcal. So in theory I am only retaining 200kcal.

Does this sound right
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No open diary? I suspect your foods (lunch)may be bought from a deli or store. And you are not using a food scale.
    More calories than you think. I have an open diary, and people really helped me.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you are eating MUCH more than you think...just about any man would be losing weight like crazy eating 1250 calories per day - even without the exercise!
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    do you log tea/coffee? high sodium food makes you retain water as does caffeine, deli meats and canned foods are the biggest culprit.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    dave_hoe wrote: »
    There's no such thing as "I'm not losing weight because I'm not eating enough", that's just a myth that really needs to die and be buried forever.

The most likely culprit: you're eating more than you think. If you're not logging everything correctly, including dressings, butter/spreads, oils you cook in and such - you're probably eating more than you think. Best would be to keep a rigourous diet journal for a few days/a week and see from there where to go.

Also, if you're using MFP to calculate the amount of calories you burn during exercise - it's wise to know that MFP is notoriously known for giving way too high numbers, and you probably shouldn't eat all of those calories back.

The thing is I eat around 1200 - 1250 kcal per day and my usual daily exercise tally is around 900-1000kcal. So in theory I am only retaining 200kcal.

Does this sound right

No. It doesn't. You must either be 3'8" or a medical marvel. Or, you are underestimating calories you eat.

Breakfast:
    4 slices bacon: 180 calories
    2 slices wholemeal bread: 140

Lunch
    Fast food grilled chicken salad: 530

Dinner:
    6oz baked chicken breast: 275
    8oz steamed white potatoes: 225

Total 1350

And that's not adding any butter on the potato or mayo on the sandwich, cream or sugar in a coffee, a sugar soda or tea, vegetables with dinner or oils used in cooking. Or if you're eating more than the amounts listed above. You could easily be eating 500-1000 more than that.

Log everything and log accurately. Then eat at or slightly under what MFP budgets. Or continue as you are. Your choice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »

Does this sound right

No. It doesn't. You must either be 3'8" or a medical marvel. Or, you are underestimating calories you eat.

Breakfast:

Lunch

Dinner:

Total 1350

And that's not adding any butter on the potato or mayo on the sandwich, cream or sugar in a coffee, a sugar soda or tea, vegetables with dinner or oils used in cooking. Or if you're eating more than the amounts listed above. You could easily be eating 500-1000 more than that.

Log everything and log accurately. Then eat at or slightly under what MFP budgets. Or continue as you are. Your choice.

CO is British, isn't he? Just checked my wholemeal bread. One slice is about 104kcal as per packaging, however, they are generally heavier than the 44gr mentioned for those 104kcal. And british bacon tends to be quite thick. Used a thinner variant from a supermaerket website where 100 gr are about 269kcal, however, 4 slices amount to about 133 grams. Thus that might already be 357+208 = 565kcal for breakfast alone. Without butter, cooking oil or anything else to go with it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    This is a double post OP - I've already posted my reply in the other thread...
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Gena575 wrote: »

Does this sound right

Breakfast:

Lunch

Dinner:

Total 1350

CO is British, isn't he? Just checked my wholemeal bread. One slice is about 104kcal as per packaging, however, they are generally heavier than the 44gr mentioned for those 104kcal. And british bacon tends to be quite thick. Used a thinner variant from a supermaerket website where 100 gr are about 269kcal, however, 4 slices amount to about 133 grams. Thus that might already be 357+208 = 565kcal for breakfast alone. Without butter, cooking oil or anything else to go with it.

Good point! I didn't even think about regional differences. So many variables, especially if you don't weigh and log accurately. Thanks for catching that!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Does this sound right

No. The minimum NET calorie intake for a small sedentary woman is 1200. The minimum for a small sedentary man is 1500.

If you enter your height, weight, age, and weight loss goal into mfp, it will give you a calorie allotment for the day...after you exercise, you add that in on your diary and mfp will add more calories to your day.

Eat at least 50% of those calories back.

:)
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of exercise calories, are you counting every step as exercise, if so this is probably wrong.

On average you're looking at 200 calories for a 30 min workout where you're panting and sweating. Are you really doing that much.

Are you not drinking any calories, are you sure you are eating so little.

Theres always a reason unless you have evolved to have zero metabolism and not die in which case you will be studied for the future of starving children.