Gym

Options
Going to gym 4 times a week cardio and different weights for different parts of body but not really losing weight HELP

Replies

• scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories.

Most people eat more after the gym or give themselves rewards for working so hard. So a zero sum activity if you don't count
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Opinion: 90% of weight loss is done by eating right and within calories.
    Exercise does very little for weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As has been said, your diet (meaning # of calories eaten) will be what determines your weight loss. It is far easier to refrain from eating 250-500 calories per day than it is to increase your activity to burn an extra 250-500 calories per day. Activity and movement are important for fitness and health but look to your food for weight loss.
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above... I lost my first 30 pounds from diet alone. Count your calories and really use MFP for what it is best at, tracking your eating. You'll be shocked when you see what you're really consuming.

Also, don't assume the calories the cardio machines give you are legitimate. I typically only record about 40% of what the machine shows.

I would also suggest you follow a program for weights, not just hit and peck at what you want to do. I'm currently following: http://fitnessfooddiva.com/workouts/fitness-tips/10-weeks-to-fit-program/
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    you must be at a caloric deficit to lose weight. You can work out until you are blue in the face. If you are not eating less than you burn, you will not lose. period. Conversely, you can eat less than you burn and not work out at all and you will still lose weight. CICO. I learned this first hand in my own experiences of eating too much and working hard in the gym - no weight loss. As soon as I adjusted my calorie intake properly, the weight came off.

You didn't say how long you have been working out and such but it also just takes time to see a change.
  • nickcrompton24
    nickcrompton24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Been working out now for 6 month lost about 5lb so far but taken everything on board cal counting the way forward thanks for all the great advice
  • RenegadePlumber
    RenegadePlumber Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Start with the caloric deficit and be sure to weigh/measure ALL of your food intake. Once you do that, you'll quickly see that MANY food manufacturers are giving you more food per serving than you think. It will add up over time.

After the calories are under control, then it makes sense to add a gym workout.

For an added gym boost, drink a cup of green tea before your workout. It aids in the oxidation of fat and a cup of tea is less expensive than the extracts. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1040.short
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym and doing cardio or weights has very little to do with losing weight. What loses weight is the CICO.

To lose weight it's a simple matter of eating less calories than your body consumes. As other posters have stated here in other threads main thing is accurate food log with a food scale.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    That is awesome dedication to the gym! Have you been keeping track of your measurements to see how your body is changing thanks to all that hard work?
  • nickcrompton24
    nickcrompton24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No just weighing myself doing really well but went to Greece for 2 weeks put loads back on but back to drawing board but 100% now no more crap food for me
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    measure yourself. Keep to your calories given by MFP and you will see changes.
  • RenegadePlumber
    RenegadePlumber Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Something else, the default here on MFP means if you log your 30 minute bicycle ride, it gives you those calories you burned off as extras to eat that day in the food counter. Don't eat those calories!

IF you have a premium plan, you can tell it no to add them. If not, what I do is log them for the small pat on the back, then delete them. That way they show up in your news feed so your friends know what you've been up to, but it deletes the calories so you don't reconsume what you just burned off. This took me a little while to understand.

Currently I eat about 1800 calories per day, and 4-5 days a week I burn off 600-900 extra calories that I don't consume. If I did, I'd be eating 2400-2700 calories those days and losing less.