New...sodium and sugars problem

Ok, I am new and have only logged my first breakfast and lunch. Right now I have...half of my calories left but am over sodium by 65mg and over sugars by 17...625 calories left. Now this is probably because I ate processed foods today (smart ones, lean pockets) which is not the norm for me. I cook lean meats and veggies all the time. But my question is...is this overage a big deal??? I still need dinner later and will eat something better then...just curious.
:smile:

Replies

• BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Excess sodium is a problem, especially when you eat processed foods. Sugar is something I'm not as worried about on here, since the amounts include good sugars in milk and fruit.

If you eat too much sodium, I would suggest drinking some extra water.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    You will learn to watch your sodium. It takes a little time. If you stay away form processed foods and don't add salt to your food you should be ok. I don't track my sugar. If my carbs are ok, I don't worry about the sugar. I know I am not eating refined sugar so the sugar I am getting is coming from healthy food. Also I was told by a nutritionist not to track because it is included in carbs and you will be tracking twice. I track Cholesterol instead. You'd be surprised how much cholesterol is in one egg. I use egg whites now.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    If you don't usually eat processed foods (like you said), then don't worry about it much. If you are worrying about it, then eat lots of potassium in your dinner tonight... it will equal out the sodium: carrots, spinach, romaine, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc all have tons of potassium.
  • Birdnicaj
    Birdnicaj Posts: 95
    Hi! Drink an extra few glasses of water and stay away from the crap! It has no nutritional value and, as you can see, it's contents are problematic. When in doubt, have two pieces of lean turkey on whole wheat bread for lunch. Yes, still a it salty, but waaaay better for you.

PS. Power to the salads (not the dressing)
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    I've been trying to cut out most processed foods, which really cuts down my sodium levels. Also, avoid eating out (fast food breakfasts especially, they are full of gross amounts of salt)