anyone exercise during their work lunch break?

Options

Replies

• annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do 4 times a week. I work about 5-10 min away from my gym so as long as I stay focused during my workouts I can get all my lifts done with time to spare. I have the luxury of being salary, so if my gym time does run over, it's not that big of a deal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I have the good fortune of having an employer who offers limited group exercise classes at lunch, so I do 30 mins of Zumba everyday. When I'm not doing that, though, I'll get out and walk on nice days, or do the elliptical or treadmill on 2 15 min breaks...just enough to start sweating. I like this because my workout is in for the day at least, so if I don't have time to do more after work, I'm covered.

Yes, I had one of these enlightened employers in the 90s, which is how I started doing yoga. I am so much more productive and energized in the afternoon if I get in some activity at lunch time. I often take a long lunch break and make up the time. For people who don't have the option of making up the time, even 10-15 minutes of walking or stretching is beneficial. Our bodies are not meant to sit for long stretches of time.

What I do varies by the season. I walked most days fall-winter-spring. On rainy days I went to the ice skating rink. Mid spring I gardened. (I currently work from home.) This time of year I don't want to be out in the sun midday so I go to the gym or practice yoga at home.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yes. I walk 4.2 miles which takes me a little under an hour for lunch here at work. Not every day but 3 to 4 times a week.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I purposely do not. My lunch hour is a rest period for me. I typically log 12k steps at work and need the regroup (physically and mentally) lunch.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I take a Daily walk on my 30min break. Sometimes when I have a charity run coming up I'll go on a 5K run on lunch. And if I ride my bike to work there are a couple close Strava Segements I'll go roll over a few times to see how I do on the leader board.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, why do you need to travel to the gym to go for a run??

45 mins lunch - 25 min run, no shower :'( but have a huge tub of baby wipes, better than nothing.... If it is raining I will do a quick kettlebell HIIT or other lighter weight/cardio/bodyweight workout...No gym, but warehouse with ancient tv/dvd and a bunch of donated lighter weights...
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    We only get lunch on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and those are generally 90 minutes, unless the doctor gets way behind, which happens a lot. If the weather is nice, me and a co-worker go on a 30-45 minute walk (I often bring an extra shirt/bra for that) but if she doesn't want to go, I'll either go myself if I already worked out that morning or if I brought my gym bag then I go to the gym (our gym is 5 minutes walking distance). Today I am going to go to the gym and run on the treadmill (outside is still a possibly but there is a heat advisory and I still have to work all afternoon). If I run, no matter what I need a shower but if I just walk or do a strength training routine at the gym then I don't bother messing up my make up, just wipe down the hotspots (this is where the change of shirt/bra comes in to play). I only go to the gym if I have a full 60-90 minutes, otherwise time gets cut too short between the drive time/changing/showering/also eating lunch, etc. if I end up with less time then I still go for a walk when applicable. If I don't work out at all then I'm probably eating something extra delicious and reading a book, lol.

Sorry that was so long!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't, however as I don't drive I end up waking at least an hour a day on my journey to/from work. We do have a gym nearby, but I work on a help desk where they monitor the time you're on lunch down to the minute.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I have a gym in my office building so I go there on my lunch. I will run or do a brisk hill walk on the treadmill for about 40 minutes, then have a quickie shower and head back up to work. If it's a super nice day I might walk outside. I do my strength training at home in the evening.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I do! I have an hour lunch so I spend half an hour working out and the rest getting there and back and changed and all that.

I usually just have a 30 second rinse off in the shower after and just spray some dry shampoo in my hair. I can easily get out of the locker room in less than 10 minutes including that quick shower, changing, and reapplying whatever I need to.

Half an hour isn't a ton of time but it's enough for me to run through a quick strength session (usually I do just upper or just lower and work in supersets) or to run 3-4 miles, so it's definitely better than nothing. My normal routine is to go before work on Monday/Wednesday and at lunch on Tuesday/Thursday, so I don't have to sacrifice lunch every day or get up super early every morning.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I get an hour lunch and usually walk for about 30 minutes. My goal is to get as many steps as I can at work so I can relax all evening after. I'm usually around 13k steps.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I crunched the numbers in my head, estimating that if i went to the gym I would have less than 20 minutes to exercise.

I'm might just start walking, maybe walk down the street at lunch for 15 mins, that way I can get some exercise in and have time for lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I often cycle at work during my lunch break. Right now I'm training for a time trial series so it makes it pretty easy as I'm not going for distance...just balls out for 30 minutes or so. If you only have an hour I would suggest taking 30 minutes to do some more intense work than you otherwise would in a 60 minute session. Go harder.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I used to when I had an office job. Now I work in a fitness center and I don't. Go figure.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    When I'm not doing overtime and can take my full hour, I try to go walking for 30-45 minutes or whatever time I have left after I eat.
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im lucky enough to telecommute and I do this every day. Honestly cannot wait until 11 at times. Moved my bike into my home office and walah!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm another one who walks. I walk a mile each way to work and about another mile at lunch time (there's a large park next to my work so I walk half a mile, eat my lunch on a bench or in the winter gardens if it's raining, then walk back).

There are also rental bikes available next to my work but (a) I would get sweaty and changing/showering uses up a lot of time, and (b) I had one stolen once while it was chained up as I ate my lunch and the whole thing was a hassle - so I haven't rented one for a while.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I go for a run twice a week on my lunch break for 30 mins, then 30 mins to get changed either end and get back to the office. It really does help pick me up for the afternoon
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    my work is my workout. I only get 2x30min breaks during my 12.5hr shift so do very little during my breaks, I used to go for a walk on my first break though.