MFP Friends wanted :)

Options
bentisdell
bentisdell Posts: 7 Member

Hi,
My name is Ben, I'm 28 years old and live in Australia. I'm looking to transition into a healthier lifestyle and would love your support and some MFP friends!

A little about me:
I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 23, but have experienced depression since I was 12. Thankfully I found a great psychologist who has supported me and helped me to take control of this problem. What a relief it was to learn that I felt terrible all the time because of an illness and not because I was a bad person. Now at 28 I am still managing my depression. Some days a bad but the majority are good now.

Unfortunately depression has had far reaching effects on every aspect of my life. Everything from low self-esteem, perfectionist tendencies, isolating myself, panic attacks and of course comfort eating. One by one I've been working on each of these areas to take back control of my life. It's been a long 5 years but I'm in the best place I've ever been mentally.

I feel that I'm now ready to focus on my physical health more. As a comfort eater I have gained quite a bit of weight. I'm now at 100kg. I feel disgusted just typing that. I should be around 70kg - that's a healthy weight for my height (175cm).

I have made efforts to lose weight but have given up each time. Only this year I tried to lose weight and after losing 6kg or so I managed to gain it all back again... But that was then and this is now. I realize that the changes I want to make should be permanent ones. That's why I say I want to transition to a healthier lifestyle. I want this to be for the rest of my life.

I've started exercising again - long walks and some high-intensity workouts using an app called 'TrackMyFitness'. They are total body high intensity workouts. Full disclosure - I don't like exercise, I don't enjoy it but I want to change that mindset (any suggestions would be great).

I would love to meet some MFP friends who have had similar experiences and who want to help keep me motivated. If you have suggestions, tips or advice - I'm open to it. I want to also be a friend to you, encourage you, celebrate your victories.

If you want to join me let me know.
Kind Regards,
Ben

Replies

• callmecandide
    callmecandide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a request. I can somewhat relate for sure. Depression and comfort eating are my biggest weight loss pitfalls.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've sent you a request :) x
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a request. I've struggled with anxiety and depression before. In 2011 I was at rock bottom, couldn't sleep, couldn't think straight and 4 stone overweight. With the encouragement if the best GP I've ever known starting to dust exercise and eat well totally changed that. Saw benefits within a few short weeks and was like my youthful contented personality within about 4 months.

Had some ups and downs afterwards - knee injury that stopped me exercising ec - but healthy habits and support always help (and I got a dog too who keeps me active and showers me with love).

Good luck on your journey.
  • bentisdell
    bentisdell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! nice to hear from you all. I've only really explored this forum over the past 2 days but I'm already seeing that people are very supportive which is just what I need.

The thing that always gets me with depression is that you can feel like you have recovered completely and moved on and then out of the blue it's back again, sometimes in a completely different form. Like last week, I went to work and had a massive panic attack that lasted a couple of hours... Where did it come from? I don't know, I haven't had one in months. Then last weekend I basically spent it in bed because I didn't' want to face to world, again something that I haven't done in months.

However there were warning signs leading up to this, not wanting to sleep, anxiety over nothing, binge eating junk food and being unnecessarily perfectionistic at work. I know the signs, but it still catches me off guard sometimes. Just have to be a little faster to implement some countermoves :).