Stomach Ledge

Options
Do you know what I mean? How when you're overweight your stomach fat ends up being a sort of "ledge" over your pelvic region? WHEN DOES THAT GO AWAY? I have lost 100lbs and the way the "ledge" is shrinking is it's going away from my external abdominal oblique area towards the middle of my abdominals. I know you cannot "spot target" fat, I know there is basically nothing I can do but keep at it, but really, when did your "ledge" go away? I'm 5'3 at 150lbs, coming off of 250lbs. I am still technically 10lbs overweight and twenty from goal.

I hate this stupid ledge -_-

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what does this "ledge" look like? It could be loose skin
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's not, it's still fat. I'd be less annoyed if it was skin.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any form of resistance or weight training? If not you may have to get to the lower side of the healthy BMI range to have it disappear. Some of what you'll have left in that area will likely be skin that might tighten over a few years.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but some of it is probably loose skin and it might never fully go away.

I have loose skin on my lower abdomen and while it's thin, it's still hangs all wrinkly like. I'm pretty sure that without surgery, it will always be there. I'm 5'4.5" and 125.4lbs down from 260 lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You've still got weight to lose, keep at it
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but some of it is probably loose skin and it might never fully go away.

I have loose skin on my lower abdomen and while it's thin, it's still hangs all wrinkly like. I'm pretty sure that without surgery, it will always be there. I'm 5'4.5" and 125.4lbs down from 260 lbs.

This. I also have a bit of loose skin there. I'm 5'4.5 and ~130. Highest weight was 200. It all depends on genetics.

Mine looks like just all fat if I'm at 160ish. But when I get lower, it just turns a bit wrinkly.

I'll take it over being overweight/obese any day. It doesn't bother me anymore.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It can come down to the very final few pounds, OP. If your skin is/was very stretched, you may need to get down to a lower body fat level than you originally planned in order to lose the subcutaneous fat in that area.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    it might be partially a posture thing; if you tend to arch your back and tilt your pelvis forward you will always have a bit of a pot belly. Try focusing on tucking your bottom ribs in and curling your 'tail' under a bit. Yoga might help...or building core strength with some planks. good luck.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    it might be partially a posture thing; if you tend to arch your back and tilt your pelvis forward you will always have a bit of a pot belly. Try focusing on tucking your bottom ribs in and curling your 'tail' under a bit. Yoga might help...or building core strength with some planks. good luck.

Planks!!! They are definitely helping with mine! I'm trying to make sure I do a good mix of strength/toning exercises as well as loads of cardio. I also always take the time to lotion up and stuff after my showers and try to maintain a good level of overall hydration because I am TERRIFIED of getting the skin flap there.

ETA: I also started with much worse posture than I have now and there is definitely a noticeable difference in how much 'ledge' I have, even just at 25 lbs down of 100.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I guess it also depends where you lose fat quickest. I started at 154lbs, currently 136lbs and my stomach is the fastest to shrink (with my upper arms not shrinking at all!). Keep going, it will reduce further as you lose more!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. With 100 lbs lost I'm positive that it is MUCH SMALLER than it was. That's what counts, progess!

I've lost 144, 7 from goal, and still have bulges I don't like. But they get smaller with every pound lost so in 7 lbs I think I'll be fairly happy. Remember, If you work out, your body will continue to improve even after you reach goal weight!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm similar height to you and mine only significantly reduced when I got down to low 130's. For me it went pretty flat - in past tense as I'm about 137 currently and it's all back! Just seems to be my nemesis!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an apron. It shrinks as your body shrinks, as you cannot spot reduce.