Starting today

Options
Starting this today and always looking for tips and advice and fit bit buddies would be great.

Replies

• PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Best of luck on your journey!
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Be sure to read the Stickies on the getting started forum. Buy a food scale to weigh your food. Keep at it, have patience. Good luck!
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Getting started is often the hardest part, so you got that out of the way. Be honest in your diary, and try to hit your targets. A setback is not a reason to quit, but maybe a reason to change something. Exercise and diet are both important. Good luck!
  • LessToLoveTexas
    LessToLoveTexas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? What type of workouts are you going to do? Just don't give up!
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    welcome!
    good luck. thare is alot of great advice in the forums.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    mike27107 wrote: »
    Starting this today and always looking for tips and advice and fit bit buddies would be great.

1) Be honest with yourself and the MFP app. IT does no one any good if you cheat on it.
    2) Be realistic.
    3) Start Small. Rome wasn't built over night. And Diamonds don't just randomly appear.
    4) Don't over complicate things.
    5) Surround yourself with like minded people. AKA Get Friends Involved. Start a Facebook "Biggest Loser" competition between friends.
    6) Find a exercise you like and stick to it. Some people like Running, Some Like Cycling, Some like HIIT, Some like weights. Some like a mixture of all the above. Find what you like and Rock it.

Good luck and best of wishes to ya.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    In addition to the stickies and a food scale, take it a day at a time, don't try and change everything at once. Start off steady and build up steam over a period of time, slowly start to workout more and eat better. If you're here to lose fat it's a marathon not a sprint, it takes time, scale weight will likely rocket off to start with but then it'll slow down, don't get disheartened when it does.
    Don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon with a meal just don't make a habit of it.
    Don't go all out on the exercise front from the get go if you're not already quite active, that way lies injury, you need to give your body and nervous system time to adapt. I went all out when I started, ruined some tendons pretty quickly and spent months not being able to exercise which made me grumpy and so I comfort ate and undid everything I'd done up to that point.
    And please, for the love of Jeff, don't go on some horrible 1000 calorie diet (unless you're quite small and weigh very little already) that makes you cut out 90% of the food you enjoy as you'll probably find it very hard to stick to.
    Sorry, apparently I have wall of textitis. :smile:
  • zazzygirl
    zazzygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am getting started too and have a long road ahead. I just think that I need to make time and love myself enough to free myself from what is holding me back. Warmest wishes!
  • MikeBrund77
    MikeBrund77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and hints and tips. I do have a huge amount of weight to lose so one day at a time but I have totally counted everything today and have stayed within the "limits".