What type of exercise is good to tone body

Options
I've been going to the gym for long for years I do go the gym 3x day sometimes , but when I do a exercise machine seems that I'm not losing any weight I don't what I'm doing wrong I have no clue. Can anybody help me . What exercise I can do at the gym.. What kind of workouts

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You mention nothing about your calorie intake. Making sure you eat less than you burn (in a day, not just through exercise) is how you lose weight. If you aren't logging, start now. If you have been, tighten it up.

As for exercises, a mix of cardio and strength/resistance training is ideal, but it's more for your health than weight loss.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You may need to start weighing and tracking your food/calories.

And are you progressing on your gym sessions? You may want to consider a training program where you are increasing resistance over time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes from a calorie deficit. Eat less calories than your body uses everyday = deficit. Exercise can increase the deficit a bit....but most weight loss comes from calorie restriction.

"Toning" is generally referred to as losing the layer of fat covering existing lean muscle. You can't increase lean muscle mass by much (if at all) while eating at a deficit. But it's important to maintain it.

Strength training helps you retain more lean muscle while losing weight, great for bone health too. Cardio generally burns more calories than strength training and is good for your heart & lungs. Do both for health reasons.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit is for losing weight.

Then an all body weight lifting routine is for shaping the lean body mass.

If it's fat loss you want, focus on the food scale not the body weight scale. If you have a deficit over time, the fat will come off even if you never again step on the body weight scale. The process works once you figure it out, and WAIT, it's all about the food intake - focus on that for fat loss.
  • Shae3891
    Shae3891 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been on a toning mission since february and have noticed the most progress since I added Jillian Michaels videos to my routine. I still lift at the gym 3-4x a week but have added videos in the morning and I was surprised by how quickly I noticed changed. Watching my diet has helped and I started doing circuits at the gym where I will do 2 exercises 12-16 reps each and then add a quick cardio burst (squat jumps, burpees, skaters, jumping jacks) and then do 2 more exercises. You have to burn fat and build muscle and this has been doing the trick for me. My body fat has gone from 19% to 13% this year but my weight has stayed about the same.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    80% of this is eating for strength. Are you doing so? Do you need to weigh your food to ensure that you are within calorie limits? Even when you do everything correctly, sometimes the scale doesn't budge, especially when we are putting on heavier muscle and loosing bulky fat. Also, putting on muscle helps burn fat, so working out is a good thing for that alone, as well as for your general health. That's why It's a good idea to track measurements and MFP lets you do that on the ?goals? page. I recently noticed my top more loosely over my hips and my waist coming back. Ask yourself, do your clothes fit better? Are they looser?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to loose weight? And are you or have you been trying to use the gym workouts to loose this weight? Or have you been tracking food, counting calories and eating at a calorie deficit to loose weight?

Calorie deficit (eat less that you burn each day) is to loose weight.. Use the gym to concentrate on body composition and yes maintaining your current muscle while eating a deficit. A newbie lifter can make minimal muscle gainz while in a deficit, but these taper off fairly quickly..

Look into a structured lifting program..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Instead of going to the gym, sit down and track calories. Understand your Basal Metabolic Rate, Calorie Needs, and deficit for a weight loss goal of 0.5 lbs per week. Single, easiest, most assured way.
  • sonia9240
    sonia9240 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Rusty740,
    What's bad about gym.. I was 180lb before I lost 40lbs . I weigh now 137lbs. My goal is 125lbs but I can't reach that goal