Veganism?

Options
Will I lose weight if I go vegan?!

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Possibly as with every other diet. vegan/vegetarion/paleo/clean etc are no guarantee of weight loss....calories are the king with EVERY plan.

Edit because of grammar.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I actually gained weight because I wasn't watching calorie intake or portion control.

Once I started logging my food using an electronic kitchen scale, my whole world changed though.

But to be fair, I didn't convert to veganism as part of a dietary or health consideration, so my goal at the outset wasn't to lose weight.... that came later... after I got vegan junkfood fat.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If you still count calories, then yes. Eating vegan and not counting your calories might get you in trouble.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Not unless you're eating at a deficit. A lot of people who go vegan lose weight because they swap some of the high calorie things they were eating before with lower calorie things like vegetables and (some) fruit. There's a ton of stuff you could eat that's vegan but loaded with calories though so it's not a guarantee that you'll lose weight
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I recommend these sites for info. It's the quality of food we eat - you can get fat on anything:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

These are a start, there is A LOT of info out there but I am slowly becoming plant based due to heart disease. Yes you can gain weight on a vegan diet potato chips are vegan right? But these two doctors discuss the quality of food which does not included processed foods of any kind, they also have years of study and science behind their plans. I am trying to stick around 1200 calories a day if I go over, it's not because of junk food.

This is a life style choice though! I plan to live that way for the rest of my life. Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    I recommend these sites for info. It's the quality of food we eat - you can get fat on anything:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

These are a start, there is A LOT of info out there but I am slowly becoming plant based due to heart disease. Yes you can gain weight on a vegan diet potato chips are vegan right? But these two doctors discuss the quality of food which does not included processed foods of any kind, they also have years of study and science behind their plans. I am trying to stick around 1200 calories a day if I go over, it's not because of junk food.

This is a life style choice though! I plan to live that way for the rest of my life. Good luck!

Neither plan eliminates processed food. I have a McDougall cookbook and one of the recipes calls for ketchup. He also has his own line of convenience foods including noodle cups and cartons of soup. I've seen Forks Over Knives recipes that call for things like applesauce, tortillas, and canned pumpkin. Note: I'm not saying anything is wrong with these foods. I think processed foods can be a great boon for healthful, satisfying, and convenient diets.

Both eliminate certain *types* of processed foods and both are low fat plans. But processed foods aren't eliminated on either diet.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    no, being vegan does not make you thin. eating the right foods in the right quantities makes you lose weight - this can be done regardless of whether you eat meat or not. It isn't animal products that make people gain weight, and plus many vegans make the mistake of consuming way to many carbs, and way too little protein
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Go vegan for ethical reasons, it's a whole lifestyle choice and a massive commitment. Not to lose weight. Any food if too much is eaten will cause weight gain.

Exactly...any vegans/vegetarians I know are all on the weigh loss wagon too...it would be easy for me to over eat if I was vegan/vegetarian...all those nuts etc to get in my protein.
  • shafess
    shafess Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    First for a clarification - vegan is a lifestyle choice, not a diet, and specifically means you avoid animal products in all aspects of your life - wool, silk, animal testing, leather, etc. For the sake of argument, however, I will use it only to refer to food in this comment. That said, no, simply going vegan will not make you lose weight. When I first became vegan, I gained weight. I was simply avoiding animal products, not choosing healthy, plant-based foods. There are plenty of processed vegan food and junk food, so you still have to work very hard to lose weight even if you are avoiding animal products. I recently joined the Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor program and it is the best thing I could have done for myself. I save time, money, and I am losing weight without even trying. The recipes are refined oil-free and plant-based with little to no processed foods allowed. I highly recommend it if you want to give up animal products and lose weight at the same time. https://www.getmealplans.com/
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Oreos are vegan friendly, so yes.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The simple truth is yes you can lose weight by going vegan. can also lose weight on any type of meal. The trick is to eat less calories than your body uses that's what guarantees weight loss.